93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

How could the engine seize while running?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickb123
How could the engine seize while running?
The enternals heat up, metal expands and the bearings can, for a lack of better term, weld themselves to the crank and slowly grind to a halt, never to rotate again but more than likely, a bearing can spin allowing the rod to make contact with the inside of the engine where tolerances are maybe fingernail thickness apart and after a couple good licks, something hangs. Try to rotate the engine counter clockwise just a little to see if it will move.

Last edited by osduck5; 12-14-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ agree if you didnt notice if there was oil pressure during the time when it was clicking then you may have lost oil pressure. that will fry a motor. some sieze all at once, some dont. my daughter ran hers for 20 or so miles without oil pressure before asking me what the clicking noise was. added oil and it ran fine till she parked it for a few months. got a different car, now its dead. she couldnt get it to turn over to move it a couple months ago.

Last edited by craby; 12-14-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

ok so i turned the motor counter clockwise then clockwise. but it was not easy at all. i used a about a 3 foot breaker bar. the engine didnt move that much but it did. could that been enough to free the motor so the starter can turn it? and for oil pressure, im pretty sure it didnt loose any, I didnt look at the gauges directly though. is their a warming light for it?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 PM
4th Gear Member

ok so i turned the motor counter clockwise then clockwise. but it was not easy at all. i used a about a 3 foot breaker bar. the engine didnt move that much but it did. could that been enough to free the motor so the starter can turn it? and for oil pressure, im pretty sure it didnt loose any, I didnt look at the gauges directly though. is their a warming light for it?
You should have a red warning light saying "add oil or check oil level" as well as a pressure guage. if the "check engine oil level" light comes on, that is telling you to add oil before you damage the engine. If the oil pressure drops to zero, that means you have no oil flowing through your engine.

If it took a 3 foot breaker bar to move it, you more than likely have enternal engine issues. I bought one that had a seized engine and I was able to get the engine to move almost one complete revolution with a breaker bar before something snagged inside. However, with a brand new battery, the starter would not even move the crank. It had a spun bearing and jacked up crank.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Well there was no warming light on. So if my engine was that hard to turn, what could I do to it to make it easier? Would I have to so far as to rebuild it?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 PM
4th Gear Member

Well there was no warming light on. So if my engine was that hard to turn, what could I do to it to make it easier? Would I have to so far as to rebuild it?
Only thing you can do for sure is to remove all the plugs. It should turn over freely then. If you still can't turn it over, its time for a rebuild or another engine.

One other thing! I am assuming he car will roll in neutral, nothing in the tranny locked up

Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im gona say drain the oil and check for any sign of metal in the oil. pull the oil filter and cut it open, cut the paper filter off and pull out the pleats and look for metal particles or shavings.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

so today i put the starter back in. then i turned the key and it turned a little. i put the breaker bar on the crank and it was a lot easyer. then i put the battery on the charger and turned it on the highest setting and it all most started for a second. then i turned it agian and it didnt move. i dont know if its the battery or what. should i get it tested?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
4th Gear Member

so today i put the starter back in. then i turned the key and it turned a little. i put the breaker bar on the crank and it was a lot easyer. then i put the battery on the charger and turned it on the highest setting and it all most started for a second. then i turned it agian and it didnt move. i dont know if its the battery or what. should i get it tested?
I guess it would not hurt to have the battery test but make sure they do a load test on it. However, since you say you can't turn it with a breaker bar, I think you have some issues with the engine. Hopefully not but they are just not that hard to turn.

Quick Reply: wont start?