93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default whining noise

alirght, if you've read my other thread, i've decided to keep my car. now, it's time to figure out what may be going on with it. i'm gonna take it to a mechanic soon, but i'd like to know what i may be looking at before i take it. when it's in neutral, there's a small grinding noise when the clutch isn't pressed. when i press the clutch whilein neutral, i hear a small whining noise that goes down in pitch and then the grinding stops. i assume this is the throwout bearing? it also whines while in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gear, not 4th. another thing is that the gear shifter vibrates alot, especially in 3rd, and mostly in third it bobs up and down a little bit, only at a certain rpm. i've been told that my carrier bearing in the driveshaft is bad. when it vibrates i hear a noise in the rear end, could it just be the driveshaft making that noise? also, the pinion seal is bad, and the first time i checked the rear end oil, it was practically empty. it doesn't leak now, but i think the damage was already done. this was nearly 5 months ago when i found out about the pinion seal, and i keep an eye on it.

that's not everything, but those are the most important things for right now. sorry for the long msg.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: whining noise

ORIGINAL: buddywackos

alirght, if you've read my other thread, i've decided to keep my car. now, it's time to figure out what may be going on with it. i'm gonna take it to a mechanic soon, but i'd like to know what i may be looking at before i take it. when it's in neutral, there's a small grinding noise when the clutch isn't pressed. when i press the clutch whilein neutral, i hear a small whining noise that goes down in pitch and then the grinding stops. i assume this is the throwout bearing? it also whines while in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gear, not 4th. another thing is that the gear shifter vibrates alot, especially in 3rd, and mostly in third it bobs up and down a little bit, only at a certain rpm. i've been told that my carrier bearing in the driveshaft is bad. when it vibrates i hear a noise in the rear end, could it just be the driveshaft making that noise? also, the pinion seal is bad, and the first time i checked the rear end oil, it was practically empty. it doesn't leak now, but i think the damage was already done. this was nearly 5 months ago when i found out about the pinion seal, and i keep an eye on it.

that's not everything, but those are the most important things for right now. sorry for the long msg.
Whining in neutral, sounds like throwout bearing. Vibrating gear shift sounds like old transmission mount. Whining from rearend sounds like the bearing stated is bad. If rearend runs out of lubrication, it will make noise. Depending on how fast you tend to it, you may get lucky and the noise will quit (no damage done). Sounds like it's too late, as it still whines.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

i dont hear a whining fromt the rear, it comes straight from around the shifter. but the rear end does make a vibrating noise. when i had the exhaust put on it, it started doing it, i assumed it was something with the way they put the exhaust on. if the car is idling in neutral, and you have rear end problems, then the rear end wouldn't make any noise seeing as it's not being used while parked. am i right? because i hear the same vibrating sound when i'm parked sometimes.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: buddywackos

i dont hear a whining fromt the rear, it comes straight from around the shifter. but the rear end does make a vibrating noise. when i had the exhaust put on it, it started doing it, i assumed it was something with the way they put the exhaust on. if the car is idling in neutral, and you have rear end problems, then the rear end wouldn't make any noise seeing as it's not being used while parked. am i right? because i hear the same vibrating sound when i'm parked sometimes.
Right. Rattling may be loose heat shield on catalytic converter.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

but isn't the converter right under the seat the rattling is coming from the rear, thatt's why people think it's my rear end.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Overdrive Member

Yes, it's the big hump on the passenger side. I guess I'm going to have to re-read this. I'm getting the noises and the sources confused.