93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Updates on my antifreeze leak/stalling issues, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Updates on my antifreeze leak/stalling issues, what do you think?

OK so the car is at the shop...not AAMCO as planned but a local shop instead (better labor rates for AAA members enticed me). Remember my hissing steam/antifreeze leak, that I thought could be attributable to a blown head gasket? Well, mechanic says "As much as I would like to sell you on a new head gasket job...I see absolutely no indication you have a blown head gasket". Well, wahoo! That's what the guys in FL told me when the antifreeze leak started, but two shops here (AAMCO and Meineke) told me it was my head gasket. Anyway, the mechanic says I have a very badly leaking timing chain. Does this sound feasible? He said it's still labor-intensive to get to, but not nearly as much of a project as replacing a head gasket. Price before AAA discount: $800.

Also...I told him about my stalling at traffic lights/stop signs after driving at high rpms issue, and how I thought maybe I needed new spark plugs. He said I should try getting my fuel injection cleaned but I did and it still happens. So he is going to check the throttle plate because it could be gunked up as well. Sound possible?

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

OK, not counting the other chain shops, you took it to two (hopefully reliable) mechanics with a hissing steam/antifreeze leak. Since it isn't a head gasket (most head gasket leaks are internal anyway), then what are they saying about where it is leaking? If you can hear hissing and see antifreeze, it shouldn't be too hard to say where it's coming from.
Leaking timing chain? I figure you're talking about the timing chain cover gasket. That would cause an oil leak, and have nothing to do with a coolant leak.
Have you had the car checked any error codes? SES light on or not.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
OK, not counting the other chain shops, you took it to two (hopefully reliable) mechanics with a hissing steam/antifreeze leak. Since it isn't a head gasket (most head gasket leaks are internal anyway), then what are they saying about where it is leaking? If you can hear hissing and see antifreeze, it shouldn't be too hard to say where it's coming from.
Leaking timing chain? I figure you're talking about the timing chain cover gasket. That would cause an oil leak, and have nothing to do with a coolant leak.
Have you had the car checked any error codes? SES light on or not.
I believe it is the cover he meant, yes...but are you sure it wouldn't cause a coolant leak? When I looked at it leaking, it was from under the hood on the driver's side, kind of under the engine. I had the car scanned for codes once at Autozone but the guy was an idiot and said too many codes came up, ripped off the scanner and only gave me like one or two of them--and that was only because I said "whoa can you just run a couple off to me please?" No service engine soon/check engine lights on at all.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well the coolant runs thru 2 holes in the timing chain cover and into the water-pump so if the timing cover gasket is shot than yes you could have a leak from the timing cover as for the stalling how is the fuel pressure did he test that cold be a clogged filter

Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
well the coolant runs thru 2 holes in the timing chain cover and into the water-pump so if the timing cover gasket is shot than yes you could have a leak from the timing cover as for the stalling how is the fuel pressure did he test that cold be a clogged filter
Well yes that's true, I had my V8 hat on. But those passages are high on the cover, and you should be able to see coolant coming out of the side of the cover if that's where it's coming from. MissEvonne seeing it from under the car could be from it running down and under. But still, you should be able to see a trail if from the timing cover.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There is a plastic elbow just about an inch above the timing chain cover that is a very common issue with these cars. Your timing chain gasket would a very uncommon issue. This elbow can be very hard to see and may make it look like its the timing chain cover.

It very well could be the timing chain cover but I would ask the mechanic if he check that elbow.

Here is a pic. The shinny metal is the timing chain cover.

Name:  IMG00010.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  44.9 KB

Best way to check it is with a good light and a mirror. It can be tuff to look at while in the car.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Gorn beat me to it . Like he said this is common and can be a pretty easy but time consuming fix. Most autopart stores sell this plastic hose in the "help" section and also new water pumps can sometimes come with it. I dont remember if the 3.8 WP has the little hose or not. BTW it is usually listed as a bypass hose.

Massey

Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks guys, wish I had read that yesterday before I called him. I'm going to call in a little bit and ask him about that elbow. As for the stalling issue, I did have a fuel injection service done to the car recently and it still happened. I imagine they would have changed the filter when they did the service?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by MissEvonne
I imagine they would have changed the filter when they did the service?

Not always, some of the shops just disconnect the injectors form the fuel rail and inject the cleaner into each injector and continue to use the same fuel filter.

Look on your receipt and see if there is a filter listed on the parts section.

Massey