93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Throttle sticking / transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Default Throttle sticking / transmission issue?

So about a month and a half or so I bought my first camaro. It is a 98 V6 manual transmission in black with the RS package that gives it the side skirts and chrome rims I believe, very nice looking car. Anyways, here is my issue.

Sometimes, not all the time, when I am shifting and I engage the clutch, instead of the RPM's dropping down to where they should be while the clutch is disengaged, they will either not drop much or stay about the same as if either the clutch has not disengaged or the throttle is sticking.

If I am coming to a complete stop at a stop sign and as I am rolling up and under 20km per hour I engange the clutch and put the car into neutral and take my foot off the clutch, the rpm's will stay around the same rev (about 2000rpm I believe) and once I have sat there for a couple seconds they will drop back down to around 1000rpm where they should be and stay there. This happens off and on daily.

Anyone have any ideas what may be going on here? If any info / pictures are needed I will get it to you ASAP.

Thanks for reading, Keith.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Great looking car,

I would clean all the thorttle linkage with choke\carb cleaner, the choke cleaner has a little lub in it that might help. I would also remove the IAC motor and air cleaner and clean the thottle body with choke\carb cleaner. You also want to make sure a the cable look in good working order and maybe disconnect the cruise control cable till you figure this out.

FYI GM did not build a 1998 RS so the RS stuff was added, still a great looking car...

GM built the RS 96-97 SLP built the RS 2001-2002

Old 01-18-2012, 05:39 PM

Oh really! Awesome, well thats good to know. I love the look of the car as well, good bit of information there. Thanks a lot, I am going to try and see if thats the problem and then go from there. If anyone else has any more input please let it be know.

Thanks, Keith

Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

Do you have an after market stereo pounding the bass? Try it will all your accesories off. I know that the PCM will have the car run at a higher rpm for a few seconds if your a/c is on or if your alternator is doing some charging.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Oh reallyy! I do infact have an aftermarket stereo but im doubtful that it would be using much more juice than the original. All 4 speakers were replaced and the stereo was replaced with a deck. No sub's or amp's or any of that. I will drive around with the stereo off for awhile though and see if it happens w/out it on.

If this was for some strange reason the case, do you think I could remedy the problem with a more powerful battery? Or would I have to get a more powerful alternator. Thanks, Keith

Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

that is a sexy car... also the rs ground fx has bumper skirts (imo the best part of the rs kit) and the spoiler pieces (my most hated part of the rs kit) but deff a sexy car

Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Ahh yes okay I see now! I would really love to put the full skirt kit on it including the rear and front but I don't have the money at the time, I have already put nearly a grand into the car since I bought it to fix little things here and there. My plan is to get all the little kinks out of the car and then pursue making it look even nicer.

Thanks again for the info, I am cleaning out my throttle body in an hour, I will post back with results!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Woah woah. Sorry for the double post but look what I just found. Apparently there IS a 98 camaro with the RS package. The car isn't labelled a Camaro RS but there was an avail. package called "Y3F Sport Appearance Package"

Take a peek, click this link and scroll down a bit on the right side there is a green 98 camaro exactly like mine courtesy of GM Corp.

Last edited by Keith22; 01-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Update: So I have not yet removed the throttle body because after taking a closer look at the throttle body / linkage and cable I have found a definite problem. The throttle return seems to work perfect, but when you release the throttle fully, the cable that pulls the throttle open does not return into the cable correctly. It lags very badly as if it is gummed up or something. I am not sure if that is what is causing my over revving problem though.

My plan is to still take the throttle body off probably sunday night, clean it out well and drive the car for awhile and see if it still happens. If it does I will order a new throttle cable assembly and have it installed.