93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Supercharger Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Overdrive Member

The turbo itself will not care what it is attached too but the 231 manifolds will not work with the 3800 engines (any series)

Massey

Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just flip your factory manifolds around and make a custom kit.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Will the factory manifolds just "flip" around without making new bolt holes in them?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
Will the factory manifolds just "flip" around without making new bolt holes in them?
Yeah because I ran my heads flipped (because I noticed the temperature sensor was on the wrong side of the engine bay LOL .

Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Not flipped upside down but put the left on the right and right on the left.

Massey

Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 PM

So just a question what kind of fabrication are we talking here, i mean i know somehow ill have to get the air intake to turn towards the front of the car, i mean will i need to do anything else? and how much of a boost in power are we talking here i was thinking about taking my heads to a machine shop and trying to get the most power out of them but im not sure how all of tht works, im thinking supercharger rout for now so what all do i need o do besides buying it lol, o and will 3800 series I superchrger fit a series II or will it have to be strait up series II and if so what all will i need for the car to put that supercharger in?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 PM

So if i was to put a supercharger on my 3800 what all work are we talking here and also will a series I fit a series II, will i have to swap intakes? And if i did go through with this is it going to be a noticable difference, how much of a horsepower and torque change are we talking, will it be safe to do the swap without blowing my engine?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 PM

Sorry for posting twice computer messed up :/

Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by demojr90
So if i was to put a supercharger on my 3800 what all work are we talking here and also will a series I fit a series II, will i have to swap intakes? And if i did go through with this is it going to be a noticable difference, how much of a horsepower and torque change are we talking, will it be safe to do the swap without blowing my engine?
People who ask what fabrication is needed to make this work normally do not have the skills and tools to do so. If they had the skill they would not ask the question. You need to be able to weld and you need a milling machine and the know how to use it. This question has been asked 100's of times. But only a few people have done it (no one, We have one member who started it but in his reseach he found out it was not worth in and went to a turbo). As a rule it is NOT worth it. The GM M90 will add about 40 hp with a tune. If you installed the supercharged motor you could do a little better with a tune but again it is not worth it. You do better with a Cam/headers and a little port and polish on the heads all for about 1/10th the work.

To install any boost (Supercharger, Turbo or NO2) on a 10+ year old motor the first step is rebuild the motor, better pistons, headgaskets, Rod and main bolts are a minumum. Anyone that tells you different most likely has no idea what they are talking about. These are failure points on stock motors and will not handle any boost unless you are very lucky.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 PM

As i was lookign at pictures i noticed it was alot of mods, but yes i was looking into getting some more out of my heads and cam im thinking about buying a junk yard engine tht has low miles and getting the heads off of tht 3800 and having both the heads and cams polished and "something else someone told me about but i forgot what it was called", for more power cause i know if you do one you gotta do the other, and then putting them on my engine now cause i do use my camaro for daily driving. Another question then would be should the rest of the engine be able to handle the new pressure being put on it with the new head and cam set up should i also try doing some work to the intake will it be able to pass emmisions and as always what kind of power gains are we talking here, and how much will this cost.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Question