93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Stock Rear-End?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011 | 11:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Ah, but it's true, most V6 owners are cheap and many don't even do any modifications, just ask some of the exhaust manufacturers about their sales to V6 owners... It's the same reason Clear Image Automotive never did V6 Camaro long tube headers they were considering. So it's really their view, and the reality of the market, not so much my opinion...

Old 08-21-2011 | 09:55 AM
2nd Gear member

I don't know if it fair to group just about all v6 owners as being cheap. Granted just about all sixxers I saw are bone stock but you can't judge just by looking. I have to agree with liberty borla is by far the best sounding exhaust. That's the brand I wanted but others expenses got in the way. I got a good deal on a magnaflow and it does sound good it only gets raspy around 5k.

Old 08-21-2011 | 09:58 AM
|
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Ah, but it's true, most V6 owners are cheap and many don't even do any modifications, just ask some of the exhaust manufacturers about their sales to V6 owners... It's the same reason Clear Image Automotive never did V6 Camaro long tube headers they were considering. So it's really their view, and the reality of the market, not so much my opinion...
Okay I'm kind of offended, I'm not cheap. Being in College I don't have the money to throw around on my car. When I do try and do things to her I try and go the best, sometimes expensive route. I personally don't care for Borla cat-backs, they're way over-priced for essentially a washer that changes the sound. A magnaflow in my opinion sounds better and is a lot cheaper. Thats not because I'm cheap, I just prefer the sound.

Last edited by luciora; 08-21-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2011 | 11:57 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Not doing mods doesn't mean cheap. I don't find it worth spending all this money modding my 6 to get a 50 hp gain in the end. I did a rear end swap and that'll be most of what I'll do. If I sell mine then I won't be doing anything. If I keep I'll save until I can do a turbo build.

Old 08-21-2011 | 12:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You might want to take a closer look-see under the car. As of the 1999 model year, all V6 Camaros had one piece driveshafts.
U may want to retract that statement. I have a 99 with a 2 pc shaft.. its manual.. Idk about automatics...

Old 08-21-2011 | 02:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Don't be offended....

Originally Posted by luciora
Okay I'm kind of offended, I'm not cheap. Being in College I don't have the money to throw around on my car. When I do try and do things to her I try and go the best, sometimes expensive route. I personally don't care for Borla cat-backs, they're way over-priced for essentially a washer that changes the sound. A magnaflow in my opinion sounds better and is a lot cheaper. Thats not because I'm cheap, I just prefer the sound.
I would not take all that is stated here as per batim. Rather use the pieces you find here and use it to your advantage. I too pieced a V6 back together and spent a lot of money in it. Why? because I could and wanted to. Are there others like it? Of course. Are there others better than mine. Most definitely. Was it the smart thing to do? Depends who you ask. Go find yourself with the postitives that will help you. Trust me negatives will find you and come to you. I spent a lot of days and money researching on how to get better performance out of a V6 and still not done. You have questions, ask away perhaps I have something you can use in a positive way.

Old 08-22-2011 | 12:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Schappie9
U may want to retract that statement. I have a 99 with a 2 pc shaft.. its manual.. Idk about automatics...
Thanks, but I'll hang onto it for now. Unless somebody knows differently, what I'm aware of is that 1998 automatic only models got the one-piece shaft, then both auto and manual in 99.
Perhaps you have an early 99 model? There could have been a carry-over from overstock parts, as GM has done more than once in the past.

Old 08-22-2011 | 02:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luciora
its not so much being cheap, but.... would I rather spend $800 on a borla cat-back or spend it on suspension upgrades, or a complete rebuild?

Old 08-22-2011 | 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

My first 4th gen was a V6. I wasn't being cheap with the car, I was being "frugal". Calling someone cheap is a character slam.

Old 08-23-2011 | 06:03 PM
Overdrive Member
My first 4th Gen was a 3.4L -- I admit I did very little to upgrade it -- not because I was cheap, but since I had little desire to do many upgrades to it. In fact, I only started doing upgrades to it *AFTER* I bought my SS. Shortly thereafter I was looking to sell it. I felt the 3.8L had a better path for mods, plus realized the value in mods for a year-round daily driver...

I guess cheap or frugal aren't the descriptive words -- more just the fact that V6 owners are much less likely to do any mods... That was the real point intended.

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
My first 4th gen was a V6. I wasn't being cheap with the car, I was being "frugal". Calling someone cheap is a character slam.