93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Stock Rear-End?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011 | 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
Liberty is an idiot...
Name calling is not going to happen again, do we understand? luciora was asking for advice and got some opinions and experiences. Not everybody agrees with other peoples opinions, that's fine. But keep comments like that to yourself, it's not necessary to spew crap.
Anyway, my take on the Borla system is it is overpriced, if you wind up running the thing wide open. At that point, you might as well just install a $10 straight pipe. The weight savings between a one-piece aluminum driveshaft over a one-piece steel shaft is 4 lbs. (I've had both and weighed them). Not worth the money spent imo, if you think it's going to give you tire smoking results. The savings is greater though going from a two-piece to one-piece steel shaft, so there it makes a difference.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-18-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2011 | 10:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Name calling is not going to happen again, do we understand? luciora was asking for advice and got some opinions and experiences. Not everybody agrees with other peoples opinions, that's fine. But keep comments like that to yourself, it's not necessary to spew crap.
Liberty rarely contributes to advice-seeking threads like this and I like many of the members on this forum get sick of his BS.

Old 08-18-2011 | 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
Liberty rarely contributes to advice-seeking threads like this and I like many of the members on this forum get sick of his BS.
And because of that he's prejudged and automatically shot down. Points he brought up makes for good (friendly) argument/debate, which there was. If his actions makes you sick, then go and puke in your own toilet where neither I, nor anybody else can see it. I'm not defending nor offending any one person here. But I am defending the integrity of this site. Keep it civil.

Old 08-18-2011 | 11:06 PM
|
2nd Gear member

The weight savings between a one-piece aluminum driveshaft over a one-piece steel shaft is 4 lbs. (I've had both and weighed them). Not worth the money spent imo, if you think it's going to give you tire smoking results. The savings is greater though going from a two-piece to one-piece steel shaft, so there it makes a difference.
Well as far as I know I have the two piece because I have a crossmember that runs underneath my drive shaft.

Old 08-19-2011 | 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by luciora
Well as far as I know I have the two piece because I have a crossmember that runs underneath my drive shaft.
You might want to take a closer look-see under the car. As of the 1999 model year, all V6 Camaros had one piece driveshafts.

Old 08-19-2011 | 05:54 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Here I am. X2 what Camaro 69 said. Getting a little old guys. I don't own a V6 so I can't really offer anything else to the thread.

Old 08-20-2011 | 09:08 AM
Thumbs down

Anyway, my take on the Borla system is it is overpriced, if you wind up running the thing wide open. At that point, you might as well just install a $10 straight pipe. The weight savings between a one-piece aluminum driveshaft over a one-piece steel shaft is 4 lbs. (I've had both and weighed them). Not worth the money spent imo, if you think it's going to give you tire smoking results. The savings is greater though going from a two-piece to one-piece steel shaft, so there it makes a difference.
Just because we don't spend $500 to $700 bucks on an exhaust that makes most of us V-6 owners cheap? You don't think I wouldn't want to spend more freely on my car? Just because he has the money to spend on his upgrades doesn't make it OK to say "most" V-6 owners are cheap! If he wants to buy me better upgrades for my car, I'll gladly give him my mailing address so he can mail me the money for future upgrades! I buy what I can afford, so don't call me cheap!

Old 08-20-2011 | 12:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kda66
Just because we don't spend $500 to $700 bucks on an exhaust that makes most of us V-6 owners cheap? You don't think I wouldn't want to spend more freely on my car? Just because he has the money to spend on his upgrades doesn't make it OK to say "most" V-6 owners are cheap! If he wants to buy me better upgrades for my car, I'll gladly give him my mailing address so he can mail me the money for future upgrades! I buy what I can afford, so don't call me cheap!
I agree saying we are cheap is kind of dumb. Up here in Canada 500-700 will get you a magnaflow cat back. 1100+ will get you borla. But liberty does offer opinions on higher end products that most of us cant offer. Instead of argueing give some pros and cons that you've experienced with what you've used. Now for one peice driveshafts it's not worth swapping unless you have a 2 piece. The gain is very little from steel to aluminum. Things like suspension, tower braces and weight reduction will be a lot better in the long run. You can make lots of power but if your car is a tank it's not going to mean much. If you don't use your rear seats remove it Along with the seat belts for it and anything else you can find to lighten up your car. Then pick up some ceramic coated pacesetters. A little more price wise but they will last longer and keep temps lower under the hood. For cat backs it's up to you. Get one you like the sound of. Put a electric exhaust cut out on right after the headers for when you go to the track. Other then that you'll have to get into the engine for more power.

Old 08-20-2011 | 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by kda66
But....why did you quote me with a thumbs down, and give that funky face response? It was not I who said anything about being "cheap".

Old 08-20-2011 | 10:58 PM

But....why did you quote me with a thumbs down, and give that funky face response? It was not I who said anything about being "cheap".
I was gonna say something to you about the name calling but changed my mind and forgot to go back and use Libertys remark. No biggie.

Quick Reply: Stock Rear-End?