93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Stock Rear-End?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011 | 03:33 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Y87 V6s came with an LSD carrier, and I have one due to be installed soon in my RS... You don't need a new rear-end to upgrade, just a new carrier.

What have you done to the car so far? Honestly, I would add a Borla adjustable cat-back and SLP CAI before worrying about the rear-end... Even then I would do SLP Bilstein shocks, SS sways, STB and SFCs first... Suspension improvements ratchet up the fun factor a lot, unless you just enjoy straight lines...
The car is pretty much stock I would like to get a one piece drive shaft and a magnaflow catback soon. Also do they make good suspension components for a V6? I didn't think the V8 components would work on V6 car. Like the strut tower brace for example.

Old 08-18-2011 | 03:43 PM
Overdrive Member

^ '02 already has a 1 piece driveshaft.

Ya may be unhappy with the Magnaflow sound, best to hear it in person, if you can.

Most work, some don't -- I just gave a list of many that you replied to. No struts, just shocks on 4th Gens.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-18-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2011 | 03:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Get a LS1 aluminum driveshaft

Magnaflow sounds good on the V6. Borla is a waste of money.

Old 08-18-2011 | 04:24 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Failed Devices

Thats what I was referring too when I said one piece drive shaft, I was posting from my phone. I like the sound of a Magnaflow, it doesn't sound whiny like a FlowMaster.

Old 08-18-2011 | 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by luciora
Thats what I was referring too when I said one piece drive shaft, I was posting from my phone. I like the sound of a Magnaflow, it doesn't sound whiny like a FlowMaster.
I have a knockoff flowmaster that i just had put on my 99 Camaro 3800 and mine doesn't have a whiney sound at all. I've had several people think my car was a V-8! I love it when I start it up it sounds just like a V-8 and sounds awesome!

Old 08-18-2011 | 08:42 PM
Overdrive Member
Exclamation

IMHO, my Borla adjustable was worth every cent -- much improved sound, and *adjustable*. Many V6 owners are just too "cheap" LOL.

Don't waste your time getting an aluminum driveshaft -- the other things I listed before are much more valuable mods to do first!

Old 08-18-2011 | 09:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

The aluminum driveshaft is one of the better mods for a v6. While not adding hp at the crank, it will increase power to the wheels and increase engine responsivness. Not to mention it is a cheap mod, usually only around $100-$150 or so.

The Borla "adjustable" is overpriced. Sounds just as raspy as any other catback for the v6 for twice the price, and the adjustable part is just useless. If you want to blow $700+ on a catback that has no bonus over a cheaper Magnaflow, go right ahead. You could invest in Pacesetter headers and a Magnaflow catback for pretty much the price of just the Borla.

If you can find the sway bars of a SS or WS6, they will fit your v6 and should be fairly cheap. A shock tower brace is also cheap and effective; I paid $65 for my BMR. Bilstein shocks are a good choice for the price.

Old 08-18-2011 | 09:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Liberty is an idiot...

Old 08-18-2011 | 10:16 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

The only benchmark dyno I have seen for the driveshaft swap nets ~1hp -- not too impressive -- what do you have that backs up your claim of being one of the better mods?

I have zero rasp on my Borla -- how do you imagine these things -- have you owned one? The only way you can hear some rasp is by opening up the plate which then bypasses the muffler, this is best left to an e-valve to open/close at will. How is adjustability useless? It is volume control, from the cabin with an e-valve added. I ended up paying much less than $700, got to shop around...

At least Magnaflow is stainless steel, Pacesetter is not, and I would not buy them -- In my case, rust is going to trash them quickly in midwest salt...

The aluminum driveshaft is one of the better mods for a v6. While not adding hp at the crank, it will increase power to the wheels and increase engine responsivness. Not to mention it is a cheap mod, usually only around $100-$150 or so.

The Borla "adjustable" is overpriced. Sounds just as raspy as any other catback for the v6 for twice the price, and the adjustable part is just useless. If you want to blow $700+ on a catback that has no bonus over a cheaper Magnaflow, go right ahead. You could invest in Pacesetter headers and a Magnaflow catback for pretty much the price of just the Borla.

If you can find the sway bars of a SS or WS6, they will fit your v6 and should be fairly cheap. A shock tower brace is also cheap and effective; I paid $65 for my BMR. Bilstein shocks are a good choice for the price.

Old 08-18-2011 | 10:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
The only benchmark dyno I have seen for the driveshaft swap nets ~1hp -- not too impressive -- what do you have that backs up your claim of being one of the better mods?

I have zero rasp on my Borla -- how do you imagine these things -- have you owned one? The only way you can hear some rasp is by opening up the plate which then bypasses the muffler, this is best left to an e-valve to open/close at will. How is adjustability useless? It is volume control, from the cabin with an e-valve added. I ended up paying much less than $700, got to shop around...

At least Magnaflow is stainless steel, Pacesetter is not, and I would not buy them -- In my case, rust is going to trash them quickly in midwest salt...
$100-$150 for a lighter, stronger, overall more solid driveshaft seems like a good mod to me. A Borla exhaust for $700? No thanks. and you're the first person that I've seen that does not recommend Pacesetter headers for the 3.8 liter.

All you ever do is recommend high priced parts to the new members looking for more power.

Quick Reply: Stock Rear-End?