93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Default Speedometer problem

So, my camaro has been sending out a slip code for awhile now and every now and then the speedometer will jump around randomly. usually about 5-15 faster than im going. it happens in the mornings and happened a lot earlier coming home from a 2 hour sunday drive up around the valley and silverfalls.
is the tranny slipage and speedo problem connect somehow?
also, my trip odometer doesnt work at all.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 PM

On a side note: There seems to be a short in my car somewhere, the lights tend to flicker a LOT especially on the clock radio. and on another side note, after driving and turning the car off, if i turn it back on within half an hour it acts as if it has a dead battery... it does this on short drives and long drives, and is a daily driver. it rarely sits long.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Overdrive Member

OK this sounds to me like a bad or missing ground. Check behind the kick panels for the under dash grounds. There is one on each side. The BCM could be the cause of the radio issue if it is not the grounds. I made a How to on fixing the BCM. Here is the link: https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/body-control-module-repair-52062/
Check the battery posts and make sure there is no corrosion, also have the alternator tested.

If you are wondering if your car is a Y87 then look in the glove box for the RPO list and see if the code is there. If the RPO sticker is gone then have GM look it up via your VIN. Problem solved!

Massey

Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Fitzs
is the tranny slipage and speedo problem connect somehow?
That's one good likely cause of your problem. The throttle position sensor on the engine, and vehicle speed sensor on the trans communicate to the computer. With the trans slipping, both of those sensors would be sending a signal that don't correlate, and your computer will be confused. The engine will speed up from the trans slipping, but according to the VSS, the car isn't speeding up because it's being driven by the output shaft/driveshaft which the tires are still turning at the correct road speed.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 PM

@Massey: Okay, i shall check the kick panels tomorrow. will i need an electrical tester? i have one available if i need.
yeah i thouhgt it was a problem with ground but i wasnt sure where to look.
so, what is the BCM? and its all the courtesy lights and dash lights that flicker along with the radio, same cause?
and for the car being a Y87, i checked the doors briefly earlier and it didnt give me much info. it looked different than pictures ive seen of rpo codes on the door. but i didnt know to check the glove box...
@Camaro: the weird thing is, my trans has never felt like it was slipping... it always feels firmly in gear and instant acceleration response... ??

Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Fitzs
@Camaro: the weird thing is, my trans has never felt like it was slipping... it always feels firmly in gear and instant acceleration response... ??
You would know that if the tach climbs but the car doesn't speed up. It's possible the system only thinks the trans is slipping. Since you're having speedo issues, you might want to test the VSS then, which still could be causing a problem: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...&subtitle=test

Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Overdrive Member

The 96 RPO list is in the glove box not on the door. They started putting them on the door in 97. The thread I listed will tell you what you need to know about the BCM, like where it is, how to get it out and how to fix it. THe BCM controls the courtesy lights and the radio. Do you have power windows? Do they work when the radio quits? If not then that is a BCM issue defidently. The grounds should all be tight and against bare metal not painted metal.

Massey

Old 01-31-2011, 11:29 AM

Okay, thank you guys for the help.
After i test the speed sensor (i think ill just put it up on jacks) ill get back on here and let you guys know what i find.
as for it being a Y87, IT IS! and here are some crappy pics of the RPO codes
Name:  rpo2.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  7.3 KBName:  rpo1.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  8.8 KBName:  rpo3.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  9.8 KB

Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Overdrive Member

Looks good and glad you have the Y87 pkg. IF you are wondering about the rest of your RPOs here is a great site for decoding them

http://cadillacfaq.com/rpo/index.php

I have used this for many years and they have always been on the money.

Massey

Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 AM

Not trying to bring a dead thread back to life, but i figured i would post this for anyone having similar problems.
I finally got the time to test my VSS, which turned out to be perfectly fine. ive checked all my grounds and didnt find much corrosion before, so while i was in the school shop class i did however test my battery only to find out that the problems with the "short" and somehow with my speedometer, were all caused by a dead cell in my battery which had caused my alternator to be supplying all the power directly. long story short, i picked up a battery on my way home and now all is well! (except the damned transmission is still slipping lol)