93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

REALLY getting tired of having this problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Go read what I said again. I didn't say it didn't address a single cylinder misfire. I said it was primarily (a good part of it) covering random. I was already cross-eyed by the time the single cylinder and other info kicked in.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

sure does sound like when I had a coil go bad. The coils and module are soaking up all that heat from the engine and they dont like it. I would say swap a coil and see if the the misfire follows

eta- you can also check for resistance across the coil leads. I forget what it should be, but I found it over on autozones website under the repair heading

Old 04-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

We did swap coils. Made no difference.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
4th Gear Member

Run half a can of seafoam through your gas and then change your fuel filter and see if that helps it.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Replaced fuel filter at the end of February. I've heard mixed things about Seafoam, not sure I'm willing to try that stuff.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did u change the lifter. werent u doing that as well? if it continues u may want to send the injectors in to be cleaned and flow tested as well. do u or any buddies have a aldl that u can use to do a running diogosis?

Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

We didn't look at the lifter yet. Sunday we're taking a look at the injectors and taking off the valve cover to see if anything is going on in there.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:59 AM
4th Gear Member

I've never heard of anybody having problems running Seafoam thru their gas tank. The idea of this would be to clean out crud from the injector (and it works great =D). But the fuel filter will be dirty as hell because it also gets all the gunk from the fuel lines themselves lol.

Have you checked your plug to see if the ceramic is cracked? Is it gapped correctly?

And when you swapped coils. Did you undo the battery for 30 seconds first? Otherwise it's not going to reset the code.

See if the prongs are eroded on the ICM itself.

What I would do it take out the plug and turn the engine on (leave the plug in the boot) and see if it sparks. If the spark is blue, your ignition isn't the problem and it's likely the fuel injector. If it's not, take out the plug, unground yourself, and check to see if the wire is working properly (I just use a copper prong in my garage but I doubt you have one so IDK what you might use). And just keep going backwards.

My guess is since the spark plug is scorched so quickly on that single cylinder, your injector needs to be replaced. But it could also be a result of a faulty component (not producing a hot enough spark).

Last edited by evilkal; 05-01-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Smile ive had this problem

last year i had this problem for about 6 months before i figured out what it was. It wasn't all the time but when in cropped up my car would idle rough and sometimes there was a gas smell. my gas millage went to **** and I thought id never figure it out. If you haven't already done this i suggest taking the Ignition Control Module (under coil packs) to the auto parts store and have them test it (call first to make sure they have the right plug for the car). Just make sure when you get a new one that you add a good amount of thermal paste between the ICU and the heat sink it sits on. if you don't do this the ICU will overheat and you'll need a new one. you'll need a 1/2" socket, 7mm socket, 7/32" socket, and 3" extender. also make sure your spark plug wires are not laying directly over the fuel injector wires. this can cause your fuel injectors to fire at the wrong time which will throw your code. I hope this information helps you out and good luck!