LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Tired of LT1 now looking to swap for an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:07 AM
Default Tired of LT1 now looking to swap for an LS1

The Lt1 is a strong engine but at 160 k miles its messing up way too much and whit all the money i spent fixing it i could of just bought a new LT1 engine and its still not good. So im looking to swap for an LS1 but basically i need info from someone who has done it or know about that swap. If someone points me in the right direction ill really appreciate it...tanx for looking

Old 08-18-2009, 04:11 AM

From what i've read about it you have to change a bunch. The radiator has to sit at a different angle and you have to change alot in the front end. The k member i believe it is called has to be swapped out. Someone makes one that is a bolt in but i do believe alot has to be changed. Or the threads i've read on other forums could be untrue in what all you need to change. I'd google lt1 to ls1 swap and read what all comes up. If it is easier than what i have read i'd love to hear how it's done. best of luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Garry

Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 AM
2nd Gear member

I would say it would be chaper and easier to just fix your LT1. I dont understand why youve spent so much and it still dont run good. Mine has 145,000 on it and is VERY strong. Rebuild yours and do some bolt ons and forget it. I would buy a 98 or newer camaro if I wanted an LS1. It probably wouldnt cost anymore and would be a lot easier than swapping. Its not like the old days where you just throw in an engine. Nowadays just the wiring harness costs an arm and leg. Good luck on whatever you do.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

pull the LT1...take it to whoever you have working on it, shove it up their ***...when they poop it out...take it to the machine shop and have it stroked to a 383...put it back in...and call it a day

Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear member

Could you provide us with more info, such as symptoms and what you've already had done/replaced?

Also, if you're really serious about a swap, go ahead and buy a 98-02 camaro/TA/etc.. Cause you're going to need a donor car as it is...

Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Overdrive Member

In the very least you're going to need to have an LS1 donor to get all of your sensors and computer stuff set straight. You'll need an LS1 K-member to mount the motor. You don't have to change the radiator as long as you're willing to run the LT1 style intake.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 PM

the symtoms are the usuall it will run good for a little while the the usuall bogin, if left on the car will turn off by itself i have changed the spark plugs, plug wires, ecu wire harness, map sensor, opti spark (and thats wat pple are telling me its wrong with it again) water pump, trottle sensor....the little mods i have done are bbk shory headers, borla exaust, ported intake manifold, cold air intake, 58mm trottle body.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:32 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
pull the LT1...take it to whoever you have working on it, shove it up their ***...when they poop it out...take it to the machine shop and have it stroked to a 383...put it back in...and call it a day
That cool man. Evidently whoever has been working on it doesnt know much about it. I totally agree with stroking it. If I ever have to pull mine, thats what I 'll have done. Its not the LT1's fault, just get it fixed rightby someone who knows what their doing.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

You will be happier with the LT1, but if you do swap you need to replace the push rods before you ever put the motor in the car. The factory ones are thin and week if you like to run your car hard or just a little on the weekends they will bend and you may end up with more probs. than you have now. you will need to go aftermarket.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Default Suggestion

Before you spend the money on the swap, if you haven't already replaced your EGR valve, give that a shot.

I had horrible problems with mine, missing and bogging down. Replaced everything under the sun, but once I did the EGR valve it straightened right out.

The part is only $87. It can be a pain to change, but doable.

Quick Reply: Tired of LT1 now looking to swap for an LS1