93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Popping coming off of higher rpms

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Default Popping coming off of higher rpms

Ok im new to the site so please be easy on me.....heres my problem. When coming off of higher Rpms my car will make this popping noise. last time it did it it was REALLY loud. im not sure what it is. sometimes i swear i'm backfiring when its loud but other times when its quitier i hear it coming from my intake....is there anything i can do to fix this prob?

943.4 Camaro Auto.....
short ram w/K&n filter.
gutted cat.
new coolant temp sensor...
new thottle body sensor
new idle aircontrol valve

Old 03-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Default RE: Popping coming off of higher rpms

oh and i forgot to mention this, though it seems really important, the guy i got the car from rebuilt the top of the engine...heads i guess....i dont really knowexactly what he did, but he did tell me that thereis new stuff for all of the normal tune up stuff. wires plugs etc..idk.. all OEM though....but my car seems to leak and burn oil at about the rate of 1 quart every 3-4 weeks. so whats up? oh and when i got the car i heard a the normal lifter noise....normal i know...but it seems the longer i have the car this new knocking/ticking noise that started 3 months after i got the car seems to be getting worse...i swtiched to 10-40 bc i thought it might help...it did for a little bit but idk... whats wrong with my car...someone please be able to help...and thanks ahead of time for any replies

Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 PM

come on guys 19 year old asking for help...i dont know too much about camaros but i from driving one for the past 7 month i've come to love mine...and i would like it to last me for many more years to come....espcially since this is my only car, lol

Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Droid

If the engine is leaking oil, you need to look carefully & see where the leak is, and then fix it. If it is burning oil, and the heads were rebuilt, it could be the valve seals got torn up during assembly, or that the piston rings are shot and the bottom end needs rebuilding.

If the cam is stock, there should be very little noise from the valve train, if a valve is clicking away it could be due to a loose rocker arm, or a bad valve lifter. The injectors always make a clicking noise, but it is very subdued ,a is not heard when the hood is down. If you are hearing a deep clunking sound, it is probably a bad bearing. Invest $15 on an engine stethoscope and probe around the engine to pin down where the noise is coming from.

Popping back through the intake could be due to a bad intake valve, crossfire, or bad fuel mixture. Banging out of the exhaust is usually cause by raw fuel exploding in the exhaust.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Overdrive Member

I had some oil leave from the valve cover gaskets on my '95 3.4L -- had them replaced and no more leak...