93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

pedal position sensor code

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default pedal position sensor code

so my 97 camaro with the 3.8l is throwing a few codes. one is for a pedal position sensor and the other is misfire code. i just had the engine rebuilt and it doesn't even have 10 miles on the build. i try to accelerate and the vehicle acts like its missing. probably part of the misfire. i can do that part but im not sure how to fix the pedal positioning sensor issue. where is it located and what does it look like? any info would be appreciated. thanks.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

The throttle positioning sensor (tps) is on the throttle body in the pass side and looks kinda like a b or p or d depending on how your looking at it

Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok but there is nothing in between that and the accelerator cable in the sense of a sensor correct? with my new cam, will the sensor pick up on the cams new lift or will it still not run correctly until i have the vehicle tuned?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

the tps just records how much throttle your giving and helps to adjust fuel trim gear shift things like that it would have nothing to do with the cam... but i suggest a tune if you put performance parts on

Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

TPS will need fixed before the car can be tuned. The TPS just reports the position of the thottle it does not care about anything else.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

p1374- manf. contrl. emission system or misfire(pending) is the only code that is coming up after i reset the dtc. it still runs weird and won't accelerate and feels like its missing. cant keep the vehicle running either. it keeps dying and i killed the battery haha. i researched some symptoms of what a tps sensor would do when it goes bad and it sounds like my vehicle meets the criteria.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

The 3X reference signal is produced by the ignition control module. The ICM calculates the 3X reference signal by dividing the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor 18X pulses by 3 when the engine is running and CKP sync pulses are also being received. The PCM uses the 3X reference signal to calculate engine rpm and crankshaft position at engine speeds above 1200 rpm. The PCM also uses the pulses on this circuit to initiate injector pulses. The PCM constantly monitors the number of pulses on the 3X reference circuit and compares the number of 3X reference pulses to the number of 18 X reference pulses and CAM signal pulses being received. If the PCM receives an incorrect number of pulses on the 3X reference circuit, DTC P1374 will set and the PCM will use the 18X reference signal circuit for fuel and ignition control. The engine will continue to start and run using the 18X reference and Camshaft Position PCM input signals only.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The engine is running (18X reference pulses are being received).
• The ratio of 18X reference pulses to 3X reference pulses received by the PCM does not equal 6:1.
• The ratio of 18X reference pulses to CAM signal pulses received by the PCM equals 36:1.
• Above conditions are present for 80 occurrences.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The PCM will illuminate the MIL during the second consecutive trip in which the DTC test has run and failed.
• The PCM will use the 18X reference signal circuit for fuel and ignition control.
• If equipped with traction control, the PCM will command the EBTCM via serial data (CKT 800) to turn OFF traction control, and the EBTCM will illuminate the TRACTION OFF lamp.
• The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame and Fail Records data.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• The PCM will turn the MIL OFF during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed.
• The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
• The DTC can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear Information function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed.
Diagnostic Aids

An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation or a wire broken inside the insulation. Check for the following conditions:
• Poor connection at PCM - Inspect harness connectors for the following items:
- Backed out terminals
- Improper mating
- Broken locks
- Improperly formed or damaged terminals
- Poor terminal to wire connections
• Damaged harness Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness appears to be OK, disconnect the PCM, turn the ignition ON and observe a voltmeter connected to the 3X reference circuit at the PCM harness connector while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the ICM. A change in voltage will indicate the location of the fault.
• Faulty Ignition Coil Remove the ignition coils and inspect the ignition control module and coils for cracks, carbon tracking, or other signs that indicate that the coil secondary circuit is arcing to the ICM or ICM wiring harness. Refer to Ignition Control Module Replacement .
• Secondary ignition wire(s) arcing to wiring harness. Check secondary ignition wires for carbon tracking or other signs of damage.
Review the Fail Records vehicle mileage since the diagnostic test last failed. This may help determine how often the condition that caused the DTC to be set occurs.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ya i replaced the tps and it wont get spark. after reading this i think i may have to take off the coils and test them.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

any ideas if it could be something else? the spark plugs and wires have been replaced already. the engine cranks over but there is no spark. im not sure where the icm is located so i hope its a coil.