93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Overheating Cat / Fuse questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Exclamation Overheating Cat / Fuse questions.

My first car, so I hope you are ready for some newb questions!

1998 Camaro 3800 V6 5spd, bought her dirt cheap. Had been sitting for over a year, I siphoned out the gas, new battery, changed oil and filters, and found a pea sized tear in the cat. She starts solid and idles well. Got the cat replaced today with a universal cheapo type, with aspirations for a higher end cat in the future. However, when I drove her home from the shop, I examined the cat and noticed it was RED HOT. Glowing red. The shop is less than 2 miles from my house so I did not drive very far. I know that this cannot be normal operation, so I have left her parked.

I understand that there could be a multitude of reasons for an overheating cat, so the best I can do is chop down that check list. SO, I noticed that when I open the fuse box, it looks like there are some missing? This certainly sounds like a stupid question, but shouldn't there be fuses in this empty spots!?

Noticeably missing fuses are:
AIR SOL
AIR PUMP
20A TCS BAT
25A AIR PUMP
15A LH HDLP DR; RH HDLP DR
and FOG LAMP

My high beams are not working, which I would guess be the 15A HDLP DR?
I have fog lamps installed but wouldn't even know how to use them.
But more importantly are the missing air pump fuses, would this have anything to due with a air/CO mixture going into the cat? Are these the fuses I need to solve my problems, or at least a start to solving them? or for some reason I don't need those fuses at all?

There is an autozone about a mile from the house so I will try to crawl the camaro there in the morning to get an engine code reading. Maybe a misfire or bad cat related sensors, but just would like some input about the fuses before hand. Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Overheating Cat / Fuse questions.-2010-03-10-22.52.31.jpg   Overheating Cat / Fuse questions.-2010-03-10-22.53.01.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The air pump is there for emissions to help heat up the cat faster on a cold engine. TCS is traction control. If your car doesn't have TCS, you don't need the fuse. A rich air/fuel mix will turn the cats red, and that's what they're supposed to do in that type of situation. I have a feeling you're running rich. Surprised your SES light isn't on though.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 AM

Alright, an update:

I bought a OBDII scanner, $20 at CostCo, and have a consistent random multiple cylinder misfire code. Also had a bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor code appear, but i have since bought and replaced the sensor, and the code has not reappeared.

After replacing the o2 sensor, I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned out a very dirty throttle body, and poured injector cleaner in the fuel, not really expecting it solve much. Needless to say, the random misfire code is still persistent.

Tonight i got around to changing the sparks, and noticed that two are oil fouled. The other four looked normal.

Not sure if it means anything, but while the SES light is always on, it blinks intermittently when the car is over 40ish mph. Otherwise, it is just steady on. Also, if I let the car idle for about 20mins, turn off, and start again, the SES will be off until i take the car back up to past 40mph again. Does the SES blink when a new misfire is detected? And if so, does this mean I am only misfiring at higher speeds?

Oil leaking into combustion chamber and weak fuel pump/dirty injectors?