93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

New video Berger Panel Painting Tell me what you think

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New video Berger Panel Painting Tell me what you think

So I actually was introduced to a paint booth because some one found these videos where I live. They told me to come down and they wanted to check me out. So I went and it turns out I run a paint and body shop in Hickory, NC
if you have a youtube account post the cmments on there if not then post them here thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZx1k850Kow

Old 10-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You do understand you have no idea what you are doing? If you run a body shop you should watch some of the bodymen. You used a DA sander all wrong, you never use the edge, it was not designed for that. DA should alway be flat. You use metal etching primer design to eat way flash rust on exposed steel. You let the door open on your paint both that will allow dirt in and is againt EPA rules. The booth is a mess ( who lets a booth get like that?) Finally you have no idea how to use that gun. Possibly the worst gun flow I have even seen by someone who said they know body work.

I am all about do it yourself but posting videos showing people how to do stuff wrong saying you run a body shop is not right.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 AM
4th Gear Member

I would like to learn more about painting. I painted an ole tractor a couple years ago that turned out really well but I did not have a booth, forced air resp or any of that type equipment. The warning labels on some of the paints and chemicals are scarey to someone who has no experience.

I used a harder and painted outside with the wind blowing away from me but still, reading on the interent, some people have died from reactions to the hardners because they did not use the right equipment.

Just be safe and follow the instructions.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As an armature you are not held to the same laws and regulation as someone or some place that does it as a profession. If you are really worried about the environment you should research the paints themselves. Find out which one does the least damage. There are water based system that do very little damage but they can be a pain and $$$.

Once the EPA has you down as an actual painting site all bets are off. Get this, I have four kids at home, my wife can go through 2 gallons of laundry detergent in a week. At work if I put one cup of the same detergent down the drain I can get up to a 10K fine cause of the phosphorous content. Anything that enters the building has to be documented as to where it went. So if I buy laundry detergent I have to keep the records of how it was deposed of and all the Chemical fact sheets (MSDS) here for the next 5 years.

That why I have a knee jerk reaction when I see someone in a professional environment painting with the door open and video taping it to prove it happened 

Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
As an armature you are not held to the same laws and regulation as someone or some place that does it as a profession. If you are really worried about the environment you should research the paints themselves. Find out which one does the least damage. There are water based system that do very little damage but they can be a pain and $$$.

Once the EPA has you down as an actual painting site all bets are off. Get this, I have four kids at home, my wife can go through 2 gallons of laundry detergent in a week. At work if I put one cup of the same detergent down the drain I can get up to a 10K fine cause of the phosphorous content. Anything that enters the building has to be documented as to where it went. So if I buy laundry detergent I have to keep the records of how it was deposed of and all the Chemical fact sheets (MSDS) here for the next 5 years.

That why I have a knee jerk reaction when I see someone in a professional environment painting with the door open and video taping it to prove it happened 

Im glad your giving me this advice. I really dont care that it seems like your being mean. This is the kind of stuff i need to learn. This is the feedback to learn how do it. Thanks alot i really appreciate it

Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Gorn to the "T"
I have worked in a well-estabilshed shop for a few years, and what your doing would never fly. As soon as your a Pro-shop for a Big name insurance company. They breathe down your neck, constantly. Body work & Paint isn't learned overnight. I have been attempting it for years. I say attempting because I still am constantly critiqued. There is always a better and more efficient way to do it, a RIGHT way to do it.

We are also constantly inspected. You get one offense with EPA if that.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

I see you already removed the Video.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You want to learn? The below link is to a video rental site. Looks like there is a wait right now. Kevin does a real nice job with these videos. A couple of years ago I wanted to learn the right way to repair pannels . Since I worked at a crash and dent body shop they just brazed in patchs "caved it and paved it". The pannel replacement video from Kevin was so good I rented the rest. He has some nice pointers. His back tape trick is pretty sweat. The first video "Basics" he goes over how to blend paint. He does a repair just like you did on your door. Metal prep and rust repair is a must for anyone doing restoration

http://smartflix.com/store/video/17/Paintucation-Series

I am sorry i sounded mean, The am not good with the writen word. I think most people that know in real life think I am nice. Heck i even drove over to a another forum members house and helped him fix his car,, twice!

Some of what I learned
Name:  DriverDoorinside.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  47.2 KB
Name:  DriveDooruncovers.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  Driverdoorcut.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  77.0 KB
Name:  Doorfit.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  79.2 KB
Name:  Testfit2.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  69.2 KB
Name:  Driver_door_Skin.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  47.9 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 10-21-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GMDCAMARO
I see you already removed the Video.

Well yea i had to if the epa found out like you guys said then id be screwed out of 10k and i cant afford that lol