93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

need information on an v6 to ls1 swap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Default need information on an v6 to ls1 swap!!!

i have a 2000 v6 camaro that i bought off of a friend i am about to be using the car as an every day driver and the v6 is dying so i am going to swap it for an ls1 but i need some help because the new fuel system is above my skill level and i am not sure what all i will have to change. can any one help me with this problem?????

Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear member

im not being a ***** but if you cant understand the fuel system you will not be able to understand the swap. you need basically a whole new LS camaro.
this is a Sticky thread from da v6 section.. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/v6-v8-swap-how-32391/
users Massey or Craby know all about what needs to be swapped from the LS car to the non-LS body, just wait im sure they'll be here to respond!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Easiest way to swap it is to sell the sixer and buy the LS car.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Oh dear, another one of these. Go with what Monte Girl suggested. Trade up for the V8.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Overdrive Member

If you don't know how to work on a car then DON'T try this at home. This is a swap that most seasoned mechanics will not go any where near with some one else's 10 foot pole. These cars are built around their powerplants. Everything about the car has to do with the engine, trans, braking system and Traction control system. Those parts are not easily swapped from one car to another and are usually going to have to be moved as a whole. I love the first post swap threads. Seriously here buy a V8 car, or get a new 3.8L engine and have a nice cruiser. I have helped with the V6 to V8 swap. We had to strip the V6 car to nothing but the body. Then take EVERYTHING from the LS1 car and put it in the V6 car. Yes EVERYTHING except the carpet, seats, and headliner. And NO I am not joking.

I replaced my 3.8L engine with one out of a 2001 Bonneville for about $700 including the purchase price of the engine. I used only simple shop tools, an engine stand and Cherry picker. I worked on it for 3 long nights and the car runs great today. I posted a thread about what engines can be used and also what cars you can get them out of. Also there is a list of everything that will need to be swapped from one engine to the other if you get a FWD engine.

Good luck however you decide to go.

And don't think that we don't welcome you here to the forum, we do, we just see this as a first post at least once a week, and 99.9% of the people that post the "I wanna swap my V6 for a V8" don't really know what is involved.

Massey

Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear member

Why does the topic say ls1 and you say you have an ls2?

You better do alot of research before doing an engine swap. IMO, it'll take more time and money than just buying a V8!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:11 AM

The ls2 was an error I just noticed it and changed it. All of my experience has been with older cars and usually with frames not the unibody. So that's why I came to you guys for advice not criticism. So if y'all can help me out I would appreciate it a lot! I have just heard that there was alot to it than there was on my last 6 to 8 swap I did on a truck hints being the new guy on here. Besides if this v6 really is dying then I am going to put what should be in a camaro, I'm not a fan of a sports car with a 6.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You did read the sticky? There is a lot of good information in there. You will need a whole cars for parts, a doner car is a must. We are talking the whole frame assembly, All the wiring including the gage cluster.

It really is so much easier to buy a LS1 car with a blown motor and and just swap in a used LS1. Unless you have tons of time to deal with all that wiring under the dash.
Here is the way it normally goes.

New guy first post (I want to swap my V6 with a V8) I have done this with other cars any tips?

We reply (Its a huge pain)

Naw it cant be that hard

We reply (a ya it is)

I can do it, you guys just dont want to help.

We reply (don't take our word do some research on other sites)

It can not be THAT hard,,,,
Holy,,What The...,, why would GM do that?

We never see new guy again. I can not tell how many people have left this site with only 10 post once they realized the their V6 was not going to be V8. Heck we have even had guys the already pulled there V6 and bought their V8 give up once they did the research. Trust me when I say we would all love for you to do the job and post as many pictures as you can. Heck you finish it and I will nominate your car for Camaro of the month. Its just in the last 4 years I have seen hundreds of posts and no build threads yet. Don't get me wrong people do do it. But these guys are the first ones to tell you it is not worth it.

Edit: we do have one member that put a old school small block in his 4th gen. The link is in the V6-V8 swap thread.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-04-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Overdrive Member

^+1

I only had a minor involvement in one of these swaps.

Here is that car.

Now would I undertake this swap? Yes I would. Do I have the skills and tools? Yes I do. But I would only do this with a shop large enough to park both cars next to each other and be able to walk around them and open doors with out hitting everything. A lift would make this even better. IT took my friend and a helper about 60+ hours to get the swap done, and another 30-40 hours later to get all the little things done.

Today that car is a daily driver and acts just like the Z28 that was totaled, and donated its heart.

Massey

Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sell and upgrade to SS or Z/28. If you have no previous experience or your aren't as badass as Massey I wouldn't undertake the swap unless you have money to blow.

Quick Reply: need information on an v6 to ls1 swap!!!