93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

LS1 or LT1 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: LS1 or LT1 swap?

If you want to change things in your v6 you have to consider that there are a lot of things missing. For example, the, LT1 came out with better suspension than the v6. Since the LT1 gave out more power I am sure the brakes and all that other good stuff was better on the v8. I would just buy a new car, I mean, it would save you tons of money and time. Laterz

Old 09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro_dudeZ28

If you want to change things in your v6 you have to consider that there are a lot of things missing. For example, the, LT1 came out with better suspension than the v6. Since the LT1 gave out more power I am sure the brakes and all that other good stuff was better on the v8. I would just buy a new car, I mean, it would save you tons of money and time. Laterz
Nah. LT1 racer types use v6 springs. So, those are fine.

Sway bars and all that stuff are the same most years in terms of measurements. That's fine right there.

Brakes? Having a rear disc setup and LSD would be nice, but as the links I tossed out mentioned, it's not a must, especially if the car in question is just a daily driver. The front set does almost all the stopping anyway.

Driveshaft, engine and tranny are a must. Gauge cluster can be dealt with by using the tach interface from Dakota Digital.

So, other than the grunt work and plugging in some harness ends, it's not all that much left over, is it?

Old 09-12-2006, 02:46 PM

So would I really just be better off just getting a new car with the LS1 already in it, or what? Cus I'm kinda getting 2 different feelings from you guys..... One of you is telling me that I just need to get a new car and the other one is saying to just do the swap..... I'm confused.... [sm=smiley5.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 09-13-2006, 11:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: AlfredB18

ORIGINAL: Camaro_dudeZ28

Nah. LT1 racer types use v6 springs. So, those are fine.

Sway bars and all that stuff are the same most years in terms of measurements. That's fine right there.

Brakes? Having a rear disc setup and LSD would be nice, but as the links I tossed out mentioned, it's not a must, especially if the car in question is just a daily driver. The front set does almost all the stopping anyway.

Driveshaft, engine and tranny are a must. Gauge cluster can be dealt with by using the tach interface from Dakota Digital.

So, other than the grunt work and plugging in some harness ends, it's not all that much left over, is it?

ok ok... what he is saying is true, but the car would not be as much if you were to sell it. Do you know what I mean? I was going to buy a Camaro that was a V6 body, but with a LT1. I did not buy that one because the Z28 goddies was not in it. It did not have power windows, power locks and power seats. The speedometer also reads 120 and the Z28 goes up to 150. I would buy a new car, but if you want to look into a swap; well, good luck!

Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95grnv6

So would I really just be better off just getting a new car with the LS1 already in it, or what? Cus I'm kinda getting 2 different feelings from you guys..... One of you is telling me that I just need to get a new car and the other one is saying to just do the swap..... I'm confused.... [sm=smiley5.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]
I ain't said nuthin....hehehe.

I am doing an LT1 swap because I've got a $200 car that's in decent shape and a base model without any of that power option junk (just my preference)...just what I'd want in a sport car. And I want a cruiser toy with an auto tranny when I don't want to shift gears in the Ranger. Or when I'm trying to flee a hurricane.

I'm just telling you what an LT1 swap would entail. It's doable, that's all.

You've got your eyes on a free engine as well, but it will take more work. Still doable, but other pieces will cost you.

You've got to make that ultimate decision on how you want to go about this.

It's all on what you want.

That probably helps you like...not one single iota...but, our circumstances are different. You've got to weigh this one out.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:53 PM

Well i'm not looking to sell it later... I'm actually planning on keeping it for... well ever.... if thats possible.... I just want something with a lot of power on the street.... not too much... but enough to beat those damn little ricers and stangs that are running around here everywhere.....

Old 09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I think I am going to agree with Alfred; It's up to you and only you. Good Luck and don't worry, if you put a LT1 or a LS1 you could beat the mustangs and gay ricers. Laterz

Old 09-14-2006, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^^

I can't argue with none of that.

Of course, I'd like to see that math on the LS1 swap budget if you really do have a freebie engine....veeeery interesting to look at then.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:07 PM

Yeah, I'll keep you guys posted... And if everything goes as planned I'll get some pics of the swap as I go along.... Thanks for all the help!!

Old 09-16-2006, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: 95grnv6

LOL.. I just want a fast little street machine for right now... I'm a girl with a slow *** camaro.. So I want to woop up on some of the guys with the "big Mustangs" that think they're the ****.... Know what I mean?!... I hate those kind of guys... err people.....
hey now.. I definately share your opinion about the guys with the "big Mustangs" even though I am a guy, I hate Mustangs. I definately respect the old ones, but don't like the new ones much at all. V6 Camaro's arent that slow, but they arent that fast either. Then again neither are V6 mustangs so for a V6 theyre not bad, espacially since it is a Camaro after all..But yeah I can definately see why someone would want to drop a V8 in it and haul ***

Quick Reply: LS1 or LT1 swap?