93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

LS1 or LT1 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Default LS1 or LT1 swap?

Ok, I'm thinking of doing an ls1 or lt1 swap in my car along with a new tranny as well. I've got a 3.4L v6. How hard will that be? I mean I know its going to take time and money, but really, how hard is it going to be to take my engine and tranny out and put on of those 2 engines in with a new tranny (maybe a 6 speed!!)??

Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: LS1 or LT1 swap?

It all depends on your definition of hard. The main thing is to have all the parts available before starting the project. A donor car would be ideal. Don't bother bolting a 5speed behind an LT1 or LS1 as it does not like the torque those engines can dish out, go for a 6 speed or a 4L60E automatic.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 AM

Well... really I'm just wondering is it something that I could do at home? or should I take it and have it professionally done? I mean I know if I take it and have it done that it will cost more, but would it be worth me spending more money getting the swap done professionally and then haveing them dyno it at the same time? Or do it myself and dyno afterwards? Oh and what engine would you get if you were me?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:39 AM

Well this all depends. First off you're not going to want to try and shove an LS1 under your hood.. since you have a 1995 (I assume from your sig) you'll want to drop an LT1 in there. The crossmember for the LT1 won't accommodate the LS1 without modifications. So to keep it simple use an LT1.

Second off.. how much do you know about vehicles? Do you do your own oil changes, change the plugs, and stuff like that? Or are you an all out gear head? Do you know how to wire up a harness, drop a tranny, pull off a rear end.. things like that. If you do AND you have the space to do it. Go for it. Don't kid yourself either thinking 'oh that doesn't sound that hard'. You have to have the appropriate equipment to get that old engine and tranny out of there also. You'll want an engine lift (or what ever it's called) to jack that old engine and tranny out of there or atleast the engine.

You'll deffently want to go with a bigger tranny. If the v8 bolts onto the 5speed and you NEED to be able to drive the vehicle, and don't have the money or resources to put a different tranny in there, then go ahead and drive it. But DO NOT , I repeat DO NOT expect to race, or do anything very harsh with that tranny. I advise against bolting that 5speed to the v8 in the first place.

If you do decide to do it on your own, read up on it first. Know what you're getting yourself into. You're going to need not only the engine and tranny, but possibly a new rear end also (not sure, can someone fill me in). Espessially if you plan on not leaving that v8 stock. You're going to need a new fuel system, and since your car is TPI and you want to go with an LT1 then you're going to basically have to stick with TPI. You will need a new wiring harness, and ECU. I don't know if the stock exshaust will be enough either (once again not sure can someone help here?). I think the stock exshaust is like... 2.25" or something like that. I would upgrade right away to 3". Even if the stock would work, if you plan on putting any mods into or onto that v8 you're going to need to upgrade the exshaust anyways. You'll probably end up needing a new radiator also. I don't know if the one from the v6 is big enough for an v8.

As pete stated, a donor car would be the best way to go.

EDIT
Oh cripes! before I foget, BRAKES! You'll probably want to install disk brakes in the back also. When I make my move from v6 to LT1 I'm going to, but I don't think you NEED to.. all depends on what you're going to be doing with this car. Racing? Daily Driver? Going really fast for no apparent reason? lol.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Nightshift
all depends on what you're going to be doing with this car. Racing? Daily Driver? Going really fast for no apparent reason? lol.
LOL.. I just want a fast little street machine for right now... I'm a girl with a slow *** camaro.. So I want to woop up on some of the guys with the "big Mustangs" that think they're the ****.... Know what I mean?!... I hate those kind of guys... err people.....

Anyways... I'll probably just have a shop do it, because first off I really don't know all that much about cars to do something like this.. I mean I helped my dad when I blew my head gaskets in Dec of 05 but I was (and AM) still learning... Soo I think for my safety I'll just let the pros do it.... I wasn't planning on puttin a 5 speed in.... It was a typo when I posted it first and didn't realize it 'til Pete corrected me. So should I get a donor car and then take the engine and tranny to a shop and have them put it in? I have the space here at my house but idk if my dad would be willing to help me with it since he doesn't have much free time right now. (He's in helecopter flight training right now) Is there a specific tranny that I need to put with the LT1? Or is a 6 spd. specific enough?

Well I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to take it to a shop somewhere, so does anyone know of a place between Austin and Dallas Texas that does REALLY REALLY good work? If so let me know (or you can pm or email me at lizard_06@excite.com) About how much does it cost? I mean I know its different from place to place, but around how much do you guys think I would be looking at for getting it done professionally and doing a dyno at the same time?? I know it's going to be a lot, but I just want to know a ball park estimate. If anyone even knows.

Umm, idk what else to ask right now... So if you guys can keep helping me out, I would appreciate it a lot!

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Tech Droid

Have you considered selling your car and buying a V8 versiion? It most likekely be cheaper and a lot less work.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:14 AM

If you take it to a shop, by the time you get done with parts + labor it would probably be cheaper just to sell your car and buy a v8.

As for myself I'm going to be doing it on my own... It will be a project.. and I already know it'll have it's pains along the way. Reason I don't just sell mine is 1) it looks like a v6... so I want the sleeper factor (people think it's slow.. but it's not) 2) it's MY car.. I have pride with it even though it's only a v6.. and I think she deserves a face lift.

Also the v8's come with T56 6speed manual... but that's stock.. I'm probably going to dig around and find what I can as far as bigger stronger 6 speeds.

And I was wrong about the rear end. It WILL hold up.. someone informed me that they run 10's with 900HP through them... and I don't plan on EVER running 900HP through mine.. don't know about you lol. I don't know what gears are in my rear end... but that may have to change.. all depends on what you want, low end torque and cap out around 130mph or slower start with a higher over all speed... you can customize it to anything you want basically.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:39 AM

Well basically I don't want to sell my car for the same reasons that you don't want to sell your car..... I know it will probably be cheaper to just get a v8, but like nightshift said, I want a sleeper.. And seeing in how I am a girl, I think it'd be pretty cool to have a sleeper Camaro that (like I stated) can kick some ***...... Well I was just trying to get some opinions before I actually decide on what I want to do...... Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it... I'll be sure to keep you posted on what I'm doing with my car.... Again, Thanks!!

Old 08-05-2006, 07:03 AM

Well if you have the money, then go for it..

Old 08-05-2006, 02:32 PM

It'll be a little while before I even start looking at places to do it.... At least a year or two.. So I have a little while to start saving up some money.. I know, I know it's going to be pretty damn expensive but it's what I want, so I'm sure my grandfather will help me....

Quick Reply: LS1 or LT1 swap?