93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

jet chips

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

true but it seems this engine is on its last leg and i just got that pretty tax return back hooah

Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Boosted8vfury
yes but a tuner will chip it if its not chiped or flashed already.Can not tune a stock ecu has to have some sort of chip that is tunable.
Not true for all cars or Camaros for that matter...

Originally Posted by gville4life
okay how much hp gain can i be looking at with a tune then also with a flash
I think he has you confused. Tuning is the adjusting of certain parameters on your PCM. A tune is basically what the final result of everything that was changed. You have to "flash" the tune to your PCM. For instance... I have downloaded my stock PCM tune to my computer. Using a tuning software, I can make adjustments, and when I'm done I would then "flash" the tune onto the PCM.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

okay so you make the ajus. on your computer then you flash it to the pcm and then thats where you get ur power from

Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I dont like my title

Originally Posted by 02StanGT
Not true for all cars or Camaros for that matter...

I think he has you confused. Tuning is the adjusting of certain parameters on your PCM. A tune is basically what the final result of everything that was changed. You have to "flash" the tune to your PCM. For instance... I have downloaded my stock PCM tune to my computer. Using a tuning software, I can make adjustments, and when I'm done I would then "flash" the tune onto the PCM.
I've never seen a stock from the factory ecu pcm ecm that can be tuned with out some sort of tunable program to run first.There has to be a program and your tune vs a real performance tune are a world a part.
Heres you a lil info on a flashed computer:http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us10430.htm

Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Overdrive Member

You said this "Can not tune a stock ecu has to have some sort of chip that is tunable". I can tune my stock ecu with a program called HPTuners. No chip required.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I dont like my title

yes stock nothing at all no program or nothing i thank either you mess understood me or i worded it wrong if so sorry for the confusing.And i also said some computers require a flash and others can be chiped and run a base map sorry for the confusing once again.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM
4th Gear Member

Time to shed a little light on this subject.

First off, the chips are useless and do nothing but advance timing (which is why they suggest higher octane fuel).

Secondly, Boosted you are wrong, Stan is right and no he didn't misunderstand you... You're just not right lol. A 97 and up Camaro can be tuned simply by altering the values in each table in the binary file on the ECM. To read the binary files, you have to have a program to read it. (It is a computer remember?) 96 and lower DO have to be chipped and will cost a boat load to tune. You'd be better off going with a MAP based tune instead. And even then, I would not tune after just a CAI and catback exhaust... You might gain 2 HP.

Third, the way tuning works doesn't actually ADD horsepower. It just alters the fueling system values to get the correct AFR to make the most out of your modifications and achieve the results the company specifies (usually you don't need a tune until after headers and even then you don't get a lot from it). You won't NEED a tune until you cam the car or swap heads.

Fourth, your use of the word flashing is used incorrectly. That and the fact that you need to practice your english. Flashing is the termed used when uploading a tune to the PCM. Reflashing the PCM simply means reloading the original computer data onto the vehicle's PCM.

Fifth, the eBay CAI will give you more power but it is still more restrictive than a K&N (which is restrictive itself). I have a custom ram-air set up on my 99 that outflows any CAI I've tried on it. You just gotta use your head.

Last edited by evilkal; 02-19-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I dont like my title

Just stating what ive stated before you have to have a program....A chip is def not worthless in a ecu it can produce 2step(launch control)rev limiter,Fuel and a base map helps this all aswell for maxium tuning and power.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 PM
4th Gear Member

You don't have to... You just have to know how to read and write binary. Creating a program to do it is much easier however.

And FYI none of that crap you stated about chipping a Camaro actually works except altering the rev limited. It might in a Honda but not in a 4th gen Camaro (the vehicle in question).

Final Verdict: Do not waste your money on a Jet Chip. They are worthless and do nothing but advance timing.

You're welcome.

Last edited by evilkal; 02-21-2010 at 08:25 PM.