93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Jess...I think my fuel pump just died! =[

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Jess...I think my fuel pump just died! =[

I thought it was the maf sensor I just got 3 weeks ago that got defective but open further inspection it has to be the pump =[.

Sunday afternoon I went to crank car from a nice saturday night and it cranked and stalled... I asked if dad had used car and he said no cause what the hell I just felt a vibration and it shutoff, just so weird. Came back cranked it and be done with.

Today was all good, blacked out(except reverse) my tail lights, my first time ever that I was pleased blacking out any lights. Well I drove alot today no issues, parked car @ girls...Come out 2 hours later, and takakakakaka,repeated,trepeated and then into "wtf" mode lol.

Inspectioned lines,hoses,wires with flashlight all looked good until I get in it again and I went to hit key forward three times to load fuel... I noticed I ain't hear the pump prime 0_0... Im like "oh mama come on". I then interchange A/C comp. relay with fuel pump's and no sound priming from the back. So guys I now think my fuel pump is gone but I will still check with a FP Gauge... Now i'm not trying to get ahead of myself but I already told my dad about the trunk cut-off and hes like "No gtfo with that bs, If we cut by mistake the tank and the fumes come in contact with a spark we gon land some blocks down" Im like dad no one has exploded yet lol and hes like "we will be the first two" lmao...

So ya guys I know exhaust will have to come off, but any tips when changing the fuel pump the proper way? I need to kill this fast!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You can test your fuel pump by looking for a little wire with a small square female end attached to said wire. Run 12v from your battery to the wire and your fuel pump should kick on

Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Tell your dad that there is 1/2" between the tank and floor. If he is that worried about cutting both use tin snips. Its not possible to cut 2 pc of sheetmetal a 1/2" a part with tin snips.

There is no short cut to pulling the tank. You better buy a really good pump, I put two aftermarket pumps in, in three months. That a total of 3 installs before I got a good one. The first one was loud as soon as I turned the key on. The second on fail on the highway, it just came a part inside after 6 weeks.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

Get the pump from the dealer if they still offer it. If not the second best is napa. I wouldn't cut it. Yea its a lot faster but still I wouldn't want a hole on my hatch.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Socom
You can test your fuel pump by looking for a little wire with a small square female end attached to said wire. Run 12v from your battery to the wire and your fuel pump should kick on
Hows this?

Originally Posted by Gorn
Tell your dad that there is 1/2" between the tank and floor. If he is that worried about cutting both use tin snips. Its not possible to cut 2 pc of sheetmetal a 1/2" a part with tin snips.

There is no short cut to pulling the tank. You better buy a really good pump, I put two aftermarket pumps in, in three months. That a total of 3 installs before I got a good one. The first one was loud as soon as I turned the key on. The second on fail on the highway, it just came a part inside after 6 weeks.
LoL he won't do it and I won't do it cause he's already instilled that ish on me, and i'd rather listen to him this time around. I got half a tank filled. Rather get expired in a funnerrr way jejej.

Originally Posted by RFxCamaro
Get the pump from the dealer if they still offer it. If not the second best is napa. I wouldn't cut it. Yea its a lot faster but still I wouldn't want a hole on my hatch.
Im going to a junkyard right now. I heard they got some v8's in there also. Will an Lt1/Ls1 pump fit perfect on my 3.8? And can I test a fuel pump out of the car? I need to know this info asap please!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

Dont get a junkyard pump. I can't tell how times tell go out and they end up just buying a new one.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:11 AM

where would i find this whire i have a 2002 v6 3.8 camaro and i think my fuel pump went out too

Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

The wire is purple and should be around the rear left or the engine bay

Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 AM

I just changed my fuel pump and let me tell you doing the hatch is easy and not dangerous, I just took a skill saw with a metal blade and I set the depth properly and went to town, it went from a 8 to 10 hour job to an hour and a half job. and after you are done you just get a piece of sheet metal and cover the hole. go to 4th gen and look at the sticky, it will give you exact deminsions and exactly how to do it. Just make sure you line your trunk with towels so that the sparks dont do anything to the back of your seat. and this way if you ever have fuel pump problems again its just that much easier. MIght I add that I was leary about doing it but then, went through with it and man was I glad I did.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by CheVy_R0aRrR
Im going to a junkyard right now. I heard they got some v8's in there also. Will an Lt1/Ls1 pump fit perfect on my 3.8? And can I test a fuel pump out of the car? I need to know this info asap please!!!
That is a huge mistake. Depending on how long it has been sitting it has crusty fuel in it. Sit without use is the WORST thing for a fuel pump. Also they do not like to be taken in and out. I am not sure why but it seemed very common that if we had to replace a fuel gage sending unit in about 3 months it would be back needing a new pump. Removing the rear and exhaust is a lot of work to have to redo in a week.

BTW a half tank of fuel is better to work on the a almost empty tank. Full tanks are the safest. Remember fuel Vapor is what is dangerous not the gas itself. Less gas = more room for more vapor.