93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Had a terrible scare tonight!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
And you don't have to worry, those 3.4's rarely sling a timing belt.....especially since it has a chain not a belt.
yeah i knew they had the chain, but it has 165k miles. and with the car never doing that and stalling like it did at high rpm, you cant blame me for thinking it haha.

Originally Posted by Socom
I hit the governor in my car when it had the 6, the computer shut something off and killed the motor until it was at a speed lower than the limiter. So maybe you hit the governor and your computer cut the engine, which caused you to stall the engine out by having it in gear still?
i didnt know the computer would actually kill the engine like that when you hit the limiter. i was at least going 100. idk the exact speed because i was paying attention to the road. but i was blowing by people on the highway. and around here they do at least 75-80. i always cruise 70 because i like the rabble of the exhaust it makes at 2k rpms lol, and i get passed constantly lol.

but when i heard the rpms go up like the clutch slipped, i pushed the clutch in literally immediately. at least i think i did immediately. it happened so fast.

but then come to think about it i remember still having the gas pedal to the floor when i felt the engine buck then die. so maybe the car died while still in gear, then after it died i pushed the clutch in and looked at the rpm gauge in time to see it dropped. i think thats what happened.

Originally Posted by craby
slipping clutch will chatter when it grabs after slipping.
yeah, i think my clutch slipped. looks like i get to drop 150 for a new clutch sometime soon (-.-)

Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

also, another question, i realized the car doesnt have the stock thermostat in it. apparently its the 160 degree one considering it floats around the 150-160 range. ive owned the car for maybe 4-5 months so i havent changed it. apparently the guys son i got it from thought the cooler thermostat would give it HP or something.

i did some research and found some threads on here talking about different thermostats. the stock being a 195 degree, whereas the one i have is a 160. ive seen some people say that a 160 degree is only beneficial when you have a tune and some mods. and then a few people say its beneficial regardless because the computer can make changes accordingly. and a cooler engine is an efficient one.

i have a stock car. completely stock. should i go get a 195 degree? or stick with the 160? what are the positives and negatives with using either? because if having the 160 is actually hurting my car then ill go get a 195 in the morning.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My speed limiter shuts my car down at 112 mph if I have the clutch pushed in exactly like you explained. Everything just shuts down. Doesn't make since for it to have happened at 95-100mph tho... Just a thought.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
My speed limiter shuts my car down at 112 mph if I have the clutch pushed in exactly like you explained. Everything just shuts down. Doesn't make since for it to have happened at 95-100mph tho... Just a thought.
Well I'm not 100 percent sure of the speed I was going. But since the car shutting off at high speeds is what happens when you hit the limiter, then I'll have to guess that's what happened.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it may be the previous owner had it set lower. parents do stuff like that.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

When the speed limiter kicks in it shuts down the fuel pump. If that happened and you pushed in the clutch it can defiantly stall the engine. My 3.4 didn't have a limiter, I could bury the needle

Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
When the speed limiter kicks in it shuts down the fuel pump. If that happened and you pushed in the clutch it can defiantly stall the engine. My 3.4 didn't have a limiter, I could bury the needle
Ah okay. That seems right then. Because right as I pushed the clutch in it died.

But as for the clutch slipping. It was almost as if the clutch was pushed in. That's how fast the rpms went up. Then it died. I wanna believe the clutch is fine. But I guess I'm just in denial lol.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Also I did some research about the thermostat, and ill be picking up a 195 temp today

Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Kipp88
Also I did some research about the thermostat, and ill be picking up a 195 temp today
Smart move, for more than one reason. And if you live in a cold winter climate, interior heat will be a nice thing to have.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Smart move, for more than one reason. And if you live in a cold winter climate, interior heat will be a nice thing to have.
Yeah I read that it's more fuel efficient at 195. And something about a closed loop. Either way apparenty the 160 is doing more harm then good. And since I'll never ever mod my car, or tune the computer, I have no need for the lower temp thermostat.

Quick Reply: Had a terrible scare tonight!! help!