93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Getting into a fourth gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe he doesn't want the insurance to go up and have to pay for more spark plugs, wires, oil, etc...that stuff can get pricey maintaining 8 cylinders compared to 6. It depends on what HE wants and for what purpose and what HE ultimately wants to end up spending.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well I've had my Z28 for two years now, and all I've paid for was insurance, oil, gas, brake rotors, and a handsome set of new wheels and tires.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It all depends on what he ultimately wants. But there's nothing wrong with having a six.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well for goen in a atraight lign you cant beat the z or the ss, but for autocross the v6 has a more even weight distrubtion so its really all in what you want to do with the car, also insurence on the v8 can suck mine was gona be like 4 grand a year with full coverage or 1800 with libality so that totaly ruled out the z for me

Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bouigha123
well for goen in a atraight lign you cant beat the z or the ss, but for autocross the v6 has a more even weight distrubtion so its really all in what you want to do with the car, also insurence on the v8 can suck mine was gona be like 4 grand a year with full coverage or 1800 with libality so that totaly ruled out the z for me
Autocross? I doubt this guy will be taking his Camaro to any autocross. Even if he did, the Z28 and SS have better suspension parts than a V6 Camaro and would be better built for the autocross. The SS and Z28 outperforms the V6 in almost every way. This is not a knock against the V6 Camaro for those of you that own V6, the Z28 and SS are supposed to outperform the V6.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks all for the replies, all very helpful.

Buffalo,
I would LOVE to pick up a z28 but being a college student I simply can't justify anything that performance dedicated. In all honestly 90 percent of the time I will just be driving it as a daily driver, and the other 10 percent of the time would just be horsing around, so a v6 is plenty of snuff for my application.

Haha I probably won't be doing any autocross up here, no, but weight distribution has its advantages in other situations (wet weather, snow up here, yes I AM going to try braving the snow cautiously, also a reason for a cheap sixer).

Im looking at some really cheap 3.4s around here, and while they might not be the pony car I dream of, I think they will be a good starter camaro and definately a huge leg up on the 4 banger I just got rid of.

Any one have an mpg for a 3.4 auto though? I kinda wanna know if it will pull high twenties on average before I call it my dd. S10 only gets about 20 right now and that kills the wallet lol.

Thanks again all

Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well depending on the condition of the engine. i'd say average 16.5 mpg. I really doubt any higher doe. so ur wallet wont get any fatter as of now. Now put some time and a lil money into it to clean and tune it up right and you might have something there. With a good tune up 19/mpgcity and 29mpg/highway.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The 3.4 list new 19-28. That would put the average about 25. That is new. If you are talking a higher miles one I would expect about a 10% drop in those number. One bad o2 sensor or some crud in the intake can cause that to drop off very fast.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^True. It depends how you drive, where you drive, manual or auto, and what condition of the car is. The 3.8s are about the same too and surprisingly, the v8s aren't off by much from that either. The v6 is a good trial car, especially the 3.4. But I honestly would not try driving it in the snow. You probably won't get too far. A lot of us pick up a 4x4 winter beater for just a couple hundred and save the Camaro.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
^True. It depends how you drive, where you drive, manual or auto, and what condition of the car is. The 3.8s are about the same too and surprisingly, the v8s aren't off by much from that either. The v6 is a good trial car, especially the 3.4. But I honestly would not try driving it in the snow. You probably won't get too far. A lot of us pick up a 4x4 winter beater for just a couple hundred and save the Camaro.

Haha yeah I have a 4x4 s10 beater for the winter, its what im riding in right now, so when it gets harsh I would park the camaro, but for the in between times where the roads are clear, just cold and wet, I would like to attempt to use it lol, ive seen a fiero brave 3 inches of snow and survive.

Ick really that low for mpg? I would think if ur getting 16.5 u gotta have something seriously messed up with ur rig. Either that or you have it modded to the hills and just neglected to mention that lol. I would be ok with 25, and the first thing I do with any car I buy is replace all the the basic stuff, plugs wires, good oil, maybe o2 sensors if need be, etc.. Have two GM mechanics in the family, lol, so if there is anything that I can't do myself they can probably point me in the right direction.

Why do these things get such horrible mileage? My dad had a 94 chrysler concorde with their 3.3, making about the same pony and tourque in a car almost exactly the same weight and it still pulls 27 mpg to this day...horrific tune on gm 3.4?

Quick Reply: Getting into a fourth gen