93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

A few ?? about GM supercharger for guys with more experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010 | 12:51 PM
Overdrive Member

Good point -- have you found any Camaro scale CAD drawings available from GM or other sources? That would be a good find...

Who made the other turbo/super kits? Maybe they will still sell them if asked...

I think the OP's point, is he likes the challenge and reward of completing a project like this...

Originally Posted by Gorn
To do it right in Cad you would need most of the engine and cowl/hood already drawn to scale.

But remember there where kits for both a turbo and a super charge availible for our cars. They have both been droped. There is only one reason to drop a kit that is already developed. Lack of sales.

Old 06-28-2010 | 01:16 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

There is also another guy that fab up his own system. There is a thread on another sight and even a video of its first test drive. I will look for when I get a chance.

The reason I mention the T56 thing is I know the amount of work that is involved in that swap and they blew it off like it was nothing.
Well there in the business of selling magizines, not being honest about the PITA factor.. LOL

Your cheapest way to fab up the adapter is to make (2) 3/16" plates. One to match the super charger and one to match TB. You should be able to make that with a drill and a set of torches or a Die grinder and a lot of time . Now bend up a metal bracket that will hold the two pcs where you want them in the car. This bracket does not need to follow the tube just position the flanges. Now take some wire and bend it ruffly where your want the tub. Now take a page from a custom header builder and connect the flanges with the pipe. It will take a lot of test fitting but you can get it. The reason I say this is because while Cad is great it is only as good at the information you already have. To do it right in Cad you would need most of the engine and cowl/hood already drawn to scale.
Are you inside my head? we are thinking the same things. I laid out my plan to my dad last night and i had planned to do just that. I am going to do my best to NOT have to machine a hole in the side of the blower housing like "Inferno" did. I will have to mock up things and see but im gonna be measuring and remeasuring to get an idea of the space i'll be working with. I didn't really like the one with the LT1 TB either. It looked cobbled up. I am gonna try to leave the blower casting in tact if AT ALL possible. I also plan on making the elbow with a little tighter radius than he did. and also stick with the L67 TB.

If you do not know how a custom header is made here is a good How to video.
http://smartflix.com/store/video/141...ng-with-Tubing

As you can see I have been thinking a lot about it. But remember there where kits for both a turbo and a super charge availible for our cars. They have both been droped. There is only one reason to drop a kit that is already developed. Lack of sales. Being different is cool but if there is a kit your not being different and why put that much effort into a V6 when you can by a V8 with a blown headgasket for $1200 and in a weekend have a 300 HP car.

For you I think this would be a great project. Not that its worth it car wise but any fab work is good for someone going into mechanical design.

Edit: I knew we talked about this before. I found the thread. There is a link inside this thread from a guy name merlin. he has a build thread. This thread is poster one our FAQ sticky. Note: ther first picture shown is not a 4th gen. I can see the firewall and the back of the valve cover
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/3-8-v6-inititial-mod-guide-32868/
Yeah, i'm familiar with custom headers. And i hear you on the lack of sales, It most likely wouldn't be a cash cow. But, to be the 3rd or 4th guy on the planet to do it would be a hell of a thing.

thanks for the thread(s), i read it once over and bookmarked it for future references as it has many mistakes NOT to make. Both of those threads have excellent info in it.

Old 07-03-2010 | 07:02 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Bump!

Ok, so, there i was all set up to start my GTP supercharger swap when all of a sudden out of the blue...

.... i find a powerdyne BD11 up for sale with a bunch of upgrades (kevlar belt and HD beadings) and all the extra stuff like brackets and pullys and large fuel pump fuel and boost gauges etc etc for an LT1 car, for a price I COULD NOT REFUSE!!. Well i happen to know from my reading that all the guys at vector performance did when the made the 3800 kit is flip the BD11 blower around and drive it off the smooth side of the belt (easy enough)

So long story short, i bought it. New plan, much simpler fabrication (just brackets and a tensioner, and inlet and outlet pipes) Good new: ITS THE FRONT OF THE MOTOR AND NOT WAY THE HELL AT THE BACK!!

Starting a new build thread and i'm gonna need some advice. Talk to you soon
Dave