93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

electrical short problems around stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Default electrical short problems around stereo

okay it been a while since Ive had issue with my 97 3.8L auto ...

i had a SECURITY LIGHT go on today and it wouldn't let me turn my car on.
another problem is sometimes when im driving with the stereo on when i put the brakes on my stereo turns off!?
i really need some advice from you guys !!!
how much should i expect to pay to repair any electrical problems , i want to do the full electrical over .
does any one else have this prob???
there is a clicking sound around the dash when my stereo goes off while driveing what is this???
any possitive advice will be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: electrical short problems around stereo

security light- that has to do with the built in anti theft system, is the key you use for the ignition the original key from the dealership or is it a copy made at wal-mart or some store?

i had a copy made at a ace hardware, and my car won't start with the copy, and the security light just stays on, if you wait about 3 minutes after the light comes on from the first time, you might be able to start it when the light goes off

brakes-the brake lights take some electricity, so my only guess is that your alternator isn't charging the battery all the way, and then when you brake, it takes all the electricity it needs, and because the battery isn't charged enough, the radio turns off, or i'm guessing there is some short somewhere that is sucking all your battery's charge, and it only shorts out when the brakes are on

clicking sound-uhhhh what?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

and i didn't mention, that's pretty cool you haven't been having many problems with a 200k mile camaro

Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 AM

yah the key im using is the original one ,the security light goes on and then goes off so i can start the car but after about a mile of driving i get the security light back on the car is starting to brake down so i have decided to finnaly take her in to a mechanic, everything is stock so the advice about the alternator sounds legit.
yes it only turns off when i push on the brakes the door power windows also stop functioning and i have to wait a few minutes before these resume to function.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM

the clicking sound only comes on when the stereo stops working (when i push the brakes) and i try to open my windows. its definatly electrical .
thank for the advice!!!

any opinions on where to get a new rag top???