93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

does anyone have a 3.4 rear turbo thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I do all my own work its not going to cost me 10,000 dollars that's rediculous. My most expensive set up was a twin turbo car that I built that cost 5 grand for everything including the tune. I'm going to go ahead and use a top end from a 99+ grand am 3400 series motor. They have aluminum heads good flowing I seen another guy who has them and created 184 HP with an good flowing exhaust and Cai. I'm not looking to be the fastest guy out there. And you guys still not understand I'm looking for uniqe. If I wanted to be the same then I would just buy a z28. It's okay though I see that no body has yet to answer my question so the help here hasn't been what I am looking for. Once I start building ill post my build thread.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

it will cost atleast 2k just for the swap then the turbo setup then you need to figure out how to tune thats prob gunna be around 300 also the suspension thats gunna be 500-1500 so all around your lookin at like 4000ish and to run only 3lbs your gunna go from 160 hp to 180 and see maybe .5 second on a quarter mile time

Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Guys, I think he gets the point, you are all against the idea. Obviously he isn't in this to make a track car, and he probably doesn't mind it being a challenge if he has done turbo work before. Yeah 20hp for all the money put in isn't going to be much, but he wants to do it so that he can say he did something most people would shy away from.

To OP, sounds like an interesting build, looking forward to seeing the build thread on this one, and a dyno sheet if you can when its all set up. Best of luck.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

That stock engine is going to blow up with forced induction on it. All of those mods will add up to $10,000 pretty fast.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The stock engine will not blow up unless I am running around trying to run as much boost as I can get. And let me ask what makes you think I need suspension? I am not drag racing the car, I'm not a hwy racer either and a turbo set up isn't heavy enough to require me to change my suspension. Thanks schuy69. You ate the only one so far who understands what I'm doing. I'm looking for unique.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

Okay, I think I get it now. So you want to install and spend money on a turbo and use 3lbs of boost and gain about 25HP just to be unique? I thought that turbos were supposed to be used for building serious power.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Overdrive Member

Well 20hp for 10K in work... your money buddy! Anyway I am not sure but I dont think the 3400 heads work on this block. Dont quote me there but I remember reading on FTV6 about this and the cylinder spacing or some crap like that is off. The 3500 heads are almost a bolt on. Again FTV6 and this forum have alot of info on the upgrade. with only wanting 3lbs of boost you prolly will not need a turbo grind on the cam but you will be needing to tune out some timing to prevent detonation. The 3.4 being NA has pinging problems since GM put alot of advance in the ignition to begin with. any 94+ PCM can be easily changed at a dyno shop. Not really sure about turbos needing the MAF like a supercharged engine likes but if you go that route then get a 96-98 PCM for the 3.8L, the 99+ PCM will not work since it is designed for TBW.

As for the suspension, most guys that build any power into their cars upgrade the spindles and brakes to the 98+ setup. The rotors are 1/2 larger and the calipers are dual piston. Makes for better stopping.

Massey

Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Joseph, the best place to get the kind of information you're looking for is fullthrottlev6.com. People there will actually respect what you want to do and give you some actually useful advice. Around here, people pretty much flame anybody that wants to heavily mod a V6.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Schuy69
Guys, I think he gets the point, you are all against the idea.
im not against the idea i wanted to turbo my 3.4 too im just trying to tell him that his car in its stock form will not last long at all even with 3lbs the compression is way to high for a turbo the motor will blow up guaranteed i spent well over a month researching this same exact thing and the only way to make it work is the 3.5 swap

Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

For that little boost you'll need to do nothing to the engine as you'll gain nothing. The problem is once you start boosting your going to think 3lbs is nothing so you'll try albs then after that it's new fuel system to keep up then you'll wan more so you'll try 7lbs. Then it's rebuild the block now or do it after it blows. Like they said the intake on the 3.4s are so restrictive that it's not worth turboing the car. You'd need to get aftermarket intake and rebuild your top end before you even do boost. Get the 3.5 kit as it'll be more worth it in the long run. I think it would be sweet to do but there's stuff you should do before you turbo the car. The guys on ftv6.com would say the same. It's not something you just do because you can. There's stuff you need to do to prepare your engine for forced induction.

Quick Reply: does anyone have a 3.4 rear turbo thread