93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Do I need a new starter???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Default Do I need a new starter???

2000 v6

I ended up replacing my starter over a year ago when it totally died, but for this past week my car has been acting up. Whenever I go long periods of time without starting it up (like 6 hours or so) it takes around 1-2 minutes to start. I have to keep turning over the key where sometimes it will make this hissing noise then other times it makes like clinking noise like the belts are spinning but then stop, then finally after all this clicking and clacking bam it starts....

Now before I go ahead and buy a brand new starter I was wondering if there could be underlying issues why it's doing this?? Since right when I turn off my car I can easily start it up again no problem...

and for a bonus question... (that could be the reason why this is happening?) I'm a bout to do an oil change since it's about that time but my car has been giving me the Low Oil light on and off like 1/3 times I start up my car when I check my dipstick it shoes that it's full... Is it just because I need an oil change that it's doing this or something??

Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by TwistedEdge; 02-11-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take the cables off the battery and clean the terminals and wire ends with a wire brush. if a 2000 is like mine there will be a red plastic junction box by the battery on the passenger side fenderwell. open it, there should be some wires on a juntion take them off and wire brush them too. rehook them all back up and maybe put some electrical grease on em to slow the corrosion. your battery wires could be lose or corroded and when they dont get a connection well it will hiss. another thing to look at is if your starter bolts are lose. get under the car and have a look at the starter. make sure the bolts are tight holding it on. tourque if u have a tourque wrench. also check the big wire going to the starter as best u can and make sure it not lose. if u do these and its still the same i would take the starter out and have it checked.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:42 AM
4th Gear Member

Think it is probably something related to battery. As craby says, clean the terminals and make sure the battery cables are in good shape. How old is battery? Could have a battery going dead or with a dead cell. I have always been told that the starter life depends on how good the battery is. Not sure if that is true or just a good way to sell batteries.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 AM

I appreciate the posts guys! I'm going to do everything you listed here and will be back either later tonight or tomorrow morning to keep you updated.

Long live the Camaro!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 PM

Okay so sadly because of the rainy days in Florida recently I wasn't able to do everything today

I did clean up a lottt of corrosion and build up on one of the battery wires, thought that would help since there was a lott, but sadly... it's still having the issue, hopefully some of the other things will work

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Fuel pump, turn the key to on and listen for the fuel pump to go it will sound like a hiss but deeper not a loud whiney sound its starts right up after because there is alot of fuel presseur if the battery or starter was going you wouldnt be able to crank it for 2 minutes

try this before you start it cold turn the key to on the off on off on off 4 or 5 times and i mean the on right b4 the starter engages when all the lights come on if it works boom im right if not sorry

Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

o and that hissing noise may also be a loose conection on the starter arching it happened on my boat b4