93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Denso Iridium Plugs/MSD Wires on 3.8L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Yes and as I said, no use paying more money for NGK TR55s or any other plug... Yes, NGK makes AC Delco plugs... And yes, the AC Delco version is cheaper... And also yes, they all perform the same =)

So yeah Steve, that's pretty much it. No use in spending more money to get diddly squat lol

Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

New smilies!

Hmm, this is what happens when I leave for a while. And you're correct Kal.

Side topic: An upgrade to our coils is a set of coils off of a supercharged v6, like a GTP. They put out more voltage. Those are good for up to 7200 rpm, then they limit out. The MSD's actually put out less than the NA coils do, this has been tested many times by others than MSD. Also, the MSD coils are known to fail after a short period of time. Another cheap coil upgrade is the Jegs brand of replacement coils. They put out the most juice for a non-stock coil. Though the stockers took tim king's TT v6 firebird low 8's, so I think we have no issues with needing to worry about buying aftermarket.

Wires: Bigger isn't always better, quality is where it's at. The two most popular wires are MSD and Taylor for the rwd's. There's other options for FWD's, but we don't get those unless you make your own wire.

Plugs: The most popular by far are NGK plugs, TR55's for NA, TR6's for boosted (nitrous/blower). Autolite plugs are also a very popular choice, they are low cost, and proven to be very durable. It's also popular to cut the outer electrode down, though I'm not sold on that mod yet. Something about taking a dremel to your spark plugs makes me woozy. The OEM plugs are also a popular choice, but not so much so as the NGK's. I personally run the NGK's, they've suited me well, and don't mind my tune. Though I will be switching to TR6's soon as my new fire-breathing beast goes in the maro.

There is one product made by MSD that is gaining some popularity. Their DIS-4 box, and coil adapters. But most of us don't need that upgrade, unless you're running high boost.

My credentials I guess have been forgotten here. Oh well, see you in the 12's.