93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Exclamation cooling system

im having problems with my cooling system, where my engine temp is reaching redline in less then 15 minutes. let me describe whats gone on so far

i first decided to change the coolant, but by the looks of it a dumbass previous owner mixed the wrong antifreezes and neglected to change it for a long period of time.. now my system is all gummed up with brown ****. i then decided to change the thermostat, did that successfully. Now im still having problems with it overheating.. not even a year ago i put a brand new water pump in also, so that shouldnt be the problem. so i took it to jiffy lube to get the radiator flushed, the guy told me my engine has a 10 quart system and that he was only able to pull out 6 quarts of nasty brown chunky fukn antifreeze..(I JUST PUT THAT IN NOT EVEN 2 DAYS BEFORE). im STILL having problems

does anyone know of any possible situations with my problem?
or does anyone know of a website that provides a full diagram of the cooling system (inside the block and out)?

im figuring theres either 4 quarts of gunk to come out, or it caused a block in my engine and isnt allowing anything to regulate threw the engine block

please help! asap

thanks

Old 02-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Unhappy more

ive been trying to diagnose the problem myself, so i flushed the heater core like an hour ago and took it for a drive to see what would happen, this is what i noticed...

i turned on the heat to find out i have no heat kickn out, or a/c, but cold air comes threw till the engine reaches around 200-210 degrees, THEN the heat will come on, the temp will drop back down, but not for long before it decides to climb again, then the heat will shut off and kick out cold air once again... playing the same **** over and over.

then i decided to get under the hood again too see if theres n e thing ive missed... im no expert but im pretty sure fans are ment to spin...

the 2 fans behind my radiator dont spin at all, a/c on, a/c off, heat on heat off, with car running..soo

could this be contributing to my problems? or is this a whole new problem

someone please help!

Old 02-28-2009, 05:16 PM
2nd Gear member

That's definitely a contributing factor to the overheating - the fans should come on when the A/C is on regardless of engine temp. When they don't come on, overheating is quick and easy to accomplish.

Next, I'd bring it somewhere that can flush the entire system, since that build-up you described can cause major problems.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Overdrive Member

you might want to try reading the sticky in the general tech section