93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

94 3.4 Cooling system, etc, etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 94 3.4 Cooling system, etc, etc

Ok guys, and gals. Got the engine in my 94 project. All electrical, hoses, brake lines, grounds, everything except fuel system reconnected. Starter turns engine all the electric accessories work. Questions are; Best way to fill the cooling system without taking thermostat out? Best way to prime the fuel system? Any other precautions before I fire it up. Also, had to disconnect front brake lines at ABS motor to lower the K member enough to drop engine and tranny in together. So that begs another question. Bleed front brakes at the ABS motor or the calipers 1st? Bleed rear brakes at the ABS motor or the rear cylinders 1st? I have experience doing all this with much older vehicles, first time doing it with all the computer controlled stuff, so any insight would be appreciated.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

you dont need to pull the stat to add coolant just fill the radiator start the car and let it heat up once the stat opens the coolant will drain into the block and top her off (youll probably have to do this 3 or 4 times)

as for the fuel connect the lines and prime the pump a couple times than stick a screwdriver in the pressure valve and release the air (again you may have to do this a couple times)

and as for the brakes bleed the abs first then move the the pass rear driver rear pass front driver front (and again youll probably have to do this a couple times)

Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks BC, just wanted to get another opinion, have so many "experts" that want to make everything way too complicated. Gonna try and get this done and fire this thing this coming weekend. Decided to finish the interior up, I know once I turn it over I' m not gonna want to wait to drive it!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear member

For the fuel system it's easy. With everything connected just tunr the key to run and let it there for a couple seconds until the fuel pump times out. Switch it off, wait, and then switch it on again for a few seconds. After 3 cycles the fuel system will be ready to go. Bleeding air from the rail like BC says is a good idea.

My experience with bleeding a dry 3.4 cooling system one is that it is a *****. The cooling fan doesn't turn on until something like 230F so forget about filling the system as much as you can, starting the car to let it warm up and suck in the coolant, and then topping off while the engine keeps running. It won't happen. What *will* happen is you waiting for the thermostat to open and suddenly a giant geyser of boiling coolant shooting out of the radiator neck! BTDT

What you should do is pop off the underhood fuse/relay box cover, pull the cooling fan relay, and hotwire it to run constantly as soon as the key is turned to run. Doing that will allow you to fill, run, and top off without making a huge mess.

Post back if you need more info about hotwiring the fan relay. This is exactly what I had to figure out after overhauling the 3.4 in my 94.

Last edited by 1augapfel; 01-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like I probably should hotwire the fan so I don't get sprayed with boiling coolant. So, instructions on how to do so please........
By the way my donor 94 was RED, need any parts?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ive never hot wired my fan when bleeding the coolant yes it may boil out some but its not going to explode