93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Camaro wont crank over.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Massey
OK when you say it wont turn over... Turning over is any time the starter will make the engine rotate. I am guessing it is turning over just not firing. This issue is called "Crank-no-Start" in the tech books.

TO check for spark remove one plug wire from the spark plug and put it near the intake manifold while you crank the engine. You should see a bright spark that can bridge a gap of about 1/4 inch or more. The color of the spark is dependant on the humidity more than the power of the coil. Average day should give you a bright blue/purple. red or orange will happen on really humid days. Look more for the power of the spark instead of the color. If you have spark check for fuel, there should be a schrader valve on the rail for you to check the pressure at. use a fuel pressure tester here, you will need a Repair manual that tells the proper fuel pressures to know what you are reading. Listening to the fuel pump right after you turn the key on is a good idea as well. Fuel pressure will bleed off over a few minutes if you dont start the engine. If you dont have spark then have the module checked, and or try moving the coils to see if the problem follows the coil.

Also when you added the SF what hose did you put it in? If you put it in the hose that feeds the vacuum for the MAP then you could have messed up the MAP sensor and that little guy can keep you from starting and running right. It is located on the upper intake manifold, passenger side, back near the heater.

Massey
Sorry about that, my terms aren't the best because I am still learning. But yeah, its a crank no-start. I will def check for a spark. Other then that, I DO hear the fuel pump starting then cutting off after a couple seconds or so but it doesn't seem like that gas is traveling up through the lines because when I check the fuel regulator, no gas is shooting out. I will check the actual pressure when I am back in town this Friday.

I put the SF through the tube thats on the TB, right above the MAF slightly to the left. There is a vacuum line that connects to the TB and I removed that line and let the sea foam suck up through the tube, not the actual vacuum line. I hope that makes sense because I don't know exactly how to explain. I'll try and find a picture.

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Fuel + spark = fire.
When you gave it a shot of starting fluid (not a good idea to do it numerous times btw) were you shooting it straight into the tb with the throttle blade open? Give it a good two second shot. If you have spark, it should fire even momentarily. But your fuel supply sounds like it isn't. With the key on, you can hear the pump prime then shut off?
I was spraying it in the TB with the blade open, it tries to starts, hesitates and then turns off. I do hear the fuel pump prime. I've even checked it but disconnecting the fuel filter and turning the key to the on position.

Originally Posted by Gorn
If that car was sitting in my driveway I would grab my fuel pressure gage first. If that was ok then I would check for spark. Fuel pump is a pretty common issue. It normally shows up as a "hard to start condition" then goes to "will not start" in a few days.

If you have a harbor freight around you can get a gage for like 10 bucks. They also have spark tester for like $4
I'll def do this just to double check, thanks.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Overdrive Member

was the line in front of the MAF? Seafoam will kill a MAF...

If you unplug the vacuum line from the FPR you should not get any fuel out of it. If you did then it would need replacing. The place to check the fuel pressure is at a schrader valve (looks like a tire valve stem only on the fuel rail). See if fuel comes out of there. If not then replace the filter and maybe use a compressor to back flow the fuel lines (do this with the fuel filter off or else you will have issues) do not force air back into the fuel pump you will cause damage.

Massey

P.S. Make sure to use the special tool to remove the fuel lines. You can get them at any local autopart store.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 09-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Massey
was the line in front of the MAF? Seafoam will kill a MAF...

If you unplug the vacuum line from the FPR you should not get any fuel out of it. If you did then it would need replacing. The place to check the fuel pressure is at a schrader valve (looks like a tire valve stem only on the fuel rail). See if fuel comes out of there. If not then replace the filter and maybe use a compressor to back flow the fuel lines (do this with the fuel filter off or else you will have issues) do not force air back into the fuel pump you will cause damage.

Massey

P.S. Make sure to use the special tool to remove the fuel lines. You can get them at any local autopart store.
I am sorry again! When I said I tested the Fuel Regulator I meant to say I tested for pressure by pushing the schrader valve and having someone crank the car over. A little bit of gas comes out, then a lot for a couple of seconds and now its back to nothing. And the line I am talking about is on the actual TB, its the PCV one? If I am standing in front of the car you would see the TB and on top you will see the MAF. Behind the MAF you will see the PCV that connects to the TB. That's where I put the sea foam.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and see if there's any gas inside there. I've had a bad regulator like that before, and if the diaphragm inside is shot, gas can get sucked into the vacuum hose. Any gas in the hose, and the regulator is bad.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and see if there's any gas inside there. I've had a bad regulator like that before, and if the diaphragm inside is shot, gas can get sucked into the vacuum hose. Any gas in the hose, and the regulator is bad.
Well, my question is. With a bad fuel regulator, would that cause low fuel pressure and prevent my car from starting up?

Old 09-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It should not cause zero pressure like you indicated.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Did u ever get your camaro fixed

Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by artlop
Did u ever get your camaro fixed
I don't think you're going to get an answer, the original poster hasn't logged on here since posting this thread one year and three months ago. Try to refrain from reviving old dead threads, thanks.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Doesn't hurt to ask"