93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Camaro wont crank over.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Default Camaro wont crank over.

Hi guys, I am new to the forums and I am glad I found this site. There is a lot of useful information but sadly, none have worked... My problem comes into place when I did a sea foam treatment through the vacuum line that's on the TB. Two days after, my car started to hesitate when starting up... Eventually it would start, stay on all day and as soon as I turned it off it wouldn't turn over. It now got to the point where it wont turn over at all, starter fluid isn't even working!

Could this mean I have no spark? Even if I was out of gas, starter fluid should have started it for a couple of seconds?

Moving on... I've change the fuel filter and when I had the fuel filter off I turned my key to the on position, gas would flow out BUT when I check the fuel pressure at the regulator nothing is coming out. I've had someone crank the car while I released pressure to the regulator... Nothing comes out but my fuel pump still kicks in.

I then decided to change all my spark plugs, got them all changed out and it still wont turn over.

I hope someone can help me out, I really want to fix my car and I've troubleshooted just about everything that I know of and read online. Any suggestions or ideas?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sound's like that Sea Foam did more bad then good. Probably jarred some debris loose in the system causing it to clog up now.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 AM

But would that affect the fuel line? And is there anything I can test out or do to possibly unclog it?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm not sure what you can do to check it or unclog it but it sounds like there's a blockage between the pump and the regulator. You need someone like craby to chime in on this post and let you know whats going on for sure. He seem's to know everything about these cars lol. I would check back tonight on here and see what kind of replies you get if I were you. Usually people on here log in about once every day or two. You'll find the right answer. Just gotta wait for the right person to see the post. You might wanna PM craby so he see's your post for sure.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The seafoam wouldn't have affected the gas flow at all. The fuel supply from the tank to the injectors is a sealed system, and separate from the vacuum source.
Can you clarify what you mean by it won't turn over. Doesn't turn over means the engine acts dead when you turn the key. Your new problem may just be coincidental.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM

It cranks like it wants to start but it doesn't and thanks Chaotic, I will get him/her a message. It doesn't act dead, alternator is new, battery is new. It just doesn't start but when I turn the key it sounds like it wants too.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It could be that your fuel pump is no longer functioning well. Makes sense that you would hear it, but it wont reach the FPR

Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Overdrive Member

OK when you say it wont turn over... Turning over is any time the starter will make the engine rotate. I am guessing it is turning over just not firing. This issue is called "Crank-no-Start" in the tech books.

TO check for spark remove one plug wire from the spark plug and put it near the intake manifold while you crank the engine. You should see a bright spark that can bridge a gap of about 1/4 inch or more. The color of the spark is dependant on the humidity more than the power of the coil. Average day should give you a bright blue/purple. red or orange will happen on really humid days. Look more for the power of the spark instead of the color. If you have spark check for fuel, there should be a schrader valve on the rail for you to check the pressure at. use a fuel pressure tester here, you will need a Repair manual that tells the proper fuel pressures to know what you are reading. Listening to the fuel pump right after you turn the key on is a good idea as well. Fuel pressure will bleed off over a few minutes if you dont start the engine. If you dont have spark then have the module checked, and or try moving the coils to see if the problem follows the coil.

Also when you added the SF what hose did you put it in? If you put it in the hose that feeds the vacuum for the MAP then you could have messed up the MAP sensor and that little guy can keep you from starting and running right. It is located on the upper intake manifold, passenger side, back near the heater.

Massey

Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Fuel + spark = fire.
When you gave it a shot of starting fluid (not a good idea to do it numerous times btw) were you shooting it straight into the tb with the throttle blade open? Give it a good two second shot. If you have spark, it should fire even momentarily. But your fuel supply sounds like it isn't. With the key on, you can hear the pump prime then shut off?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If that car was sitting in my driveway I would grab my fuel pressure gage first. If that was ok then I would check for spark. Fuel pump is a pretty common issue. It normally shows up as a "hard to start condition" then goes to "will not start" in a few days.

If you have a harbor freight around you can get a gage for like 10 bucks. They also have spark tester for like $4

Quick Reply: Camaro wont crank over.