93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Camaro I found for sale looking for oppinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
4th Gear Member

One other thing you need to find out is if it has a "salvaged" title. If it was rolled, I would think that it does. In most cases, that drastically reduces the resale value of a vehicle, even though it may have absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would be willing to bet those t-tops leak. I have seen cars get "tweeked" in small wrecks and watched them go on and off the frame machine trying to get the t-tops to seal. If they had to replace the tops and the windshield there is no what everything up there is square and true. I would avoid that car like is was on fire.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear member

Something I've noticed when looking at cars that always throws me off... when they say something is an "easy" fix... or "cheap"... why don't they fix it before trying to sell it so they can ask more money? Most likely cause it's not as "easy" or "cheap" as they are trying to convince you that it is. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 92Cammy
I asked about the hatch and it just needs a latch inside of it which she is gonna go get from the junkyard tomorrow. I know its not perfect, i'm looking for something cheap that I can do some work on and repair some things.
Maybe I'm just stupid...but you join a Camaro site, ask about buying a used, rolled, rebuilt, damaged, etc. Camaro, you're given lots of free advice from people that have owned and worked on Camaros....and you've got every "excuse" why this is the right purchase for you.

So let me help...

WOW!!! That's a great buy! You should pick that thing up right now!...A few hundred dollars and some time on the weekend and you'll have a $hit hot car! Man you'll be the envy of every one on this site. I wish I lived in your state so I could buy this first.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 1stindoor
Maybe I'm just stupid...but you join a Camaro site, ask about buying a used, rolled, rebuilt, damaged, etc. Camaro, you're given lots of free advice from people that have owned and worked on Camaros....and you've got every "excuse" why this is the right purchase for you.

So let me help...

WOW!!! That's a great buy! You should pick that thing up right now!...A few hundred dollars and some time on the weekend and you'll have a $hit hot car! Man you'll be the envy of every one on this site. I wish I lived in your state so I could buy this first.
Hahaha that's awesome!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry...sometimes my grumpy old man side comes through. I try to read a lot more than post, but when I ask a question...I try to remember that those that answer are trying to help me.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1stindoor

lol

Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Overdrive Member

Yea... I love cars with problems I go hunting for them all the time just so I can spend tons of money on them and keep spending money on them just so after I have spent enough to by a 2010 2SS I now have a car that still leaks, is not straight, cannot be aligned and the body looks like hell. But my windows work and it was a great deal.

OK yea that was me being a smart a$$ but come on man. I did buy my Sarah for $500, knowing it needed an engine soon. I am my own mechanic, and if you check out my posts you can see I am pretty good at what I do. I did eventually lose the engine (3K miles after I bought it already damaged) it cost me $700 for the new engine and all the extras to put the engine in the car and I had the job done in about 3 long nights of working. My car had ONE (1) problem, my tranny is good, my windows work, my interior, good T-top do not leak (hell the gal I bought the car from didnt know they came off). I checked out the car and made sure that there was no other major stuff wrong with it. My fix was not an easy fix, my fix was major, but there was only one problem, the car was cheap and now it is 100% golden.

I am an Ex-autobody tech. I can tell you from my many years of experience that a T-top car, no matter how soft the ground was when it rolled, will not be able to support the weight of the car on its roof without damage that cannot ever be totally repaired. Now if the car was just layed over on its side you may be in luck. You will be out the door, prolly that fender and it will need some qtr pannel work but it should be repairable with minimal issues on the T-tops if repaired CORRECTLY!. Driving in winter... who cares so long as the chassis was washed. Use your eyes and check for rust on the chassis, a little visable rust means ALOT you cant see.

here is the break down of my car's expenses since I have owned it.

Car: $500 (possible blown engine)
Initial Repair: $10 (got the car running for 3000 miles)
Collision: $1500 (gal ran a stop sign and hit my L Front, repairs done correctly, myself and body repainted.)
Engine: $700 (all work done myself)

Total $2710 for a car worth $5000, I am still ahead of the game on this one.

I found a friend of mine a 95 Camaro 3.4L that was a little rough, had some burnt wiring (just the primary + lead from the batt to the alternator and to the starter). The body on the car was a little on the rough side, needs a qtr and a rocker on the driver's side and some minor work on the dog leg on the pass side. His doors were needing to be replaced as well. The car was a daily driver for the lady we bought it from until the wiring went out in it. She was asking $800 we took it home for $600 and a tow from AAA. The wiring on the car was fixed for about $30 and he needed a new battery $80 (it was reverse polarized and that killed the wiring) We tested the ALT and the starter to make sure they didnt cause the melted wiring. Checked CL for some doors and took home a pair for $50 and they were even the same color as his car was (red) the wrecking yard local to us had the rocker and QTR for $300. As of right now he is saving the money for the supplies needed to put the qtr on the car. That will run him about $250 or so including the primer but not the paint. He has had some other normal maintainance done to the car and he is sitting still below the value of the car and when we get the qtr and rocker installed and painted he will be even better off.

The car listed in your ad will be 5x the cost of my car to bring up to the standards most people will find acceptable for a car to be in.

Good luck, and like others have said be patient and wait. 4th gens are everywhere even cheap ones that need little to no work. Or ones like mine or my friends that are rough in all the right places (doors and fenders that can be unbolted and replaced). The one you are drooling after... RUN!!!!!

Massey

Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Im just waiting for, "Well I bought the car guys."

Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by FosterW
Im just waiting for, "Well I bought the car guys."
Yeah and when he does, everyone here will say ""

Quick Reply: Camaro I found for sale looking for oppinions.