93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

A/c Compressor noise when trun on

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Default A/c Compressor noise when trun on

I just bought a 2002 camaro, the a/c compressor is making noises around 2500 rpm, it goes away when turn off. I'm supsicious of not enough oil inside the compressor. What should be the best way to fixe it, add oil and how much or flush the entire system and recharge with freon and oil?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

just adding oil is risky because you don't have any idea how much oil is already there. Too much oil is obviously bad for the system, so you're taking a risk if you do this, although if you only add a couple of ounces the risk is pretty minimal.

The right way to do it is to evacuate the system, flush it, replace the orifice tube and accumulator, and recharge with a known amount of refrigerant and oil. Avoid products with leak sealers and additives if you can help it, get the plain R-134a cans and the plain PAG oils. It's best to prefill the compressor with liquid oil before sealing the system up.

THat being said, it's not always practical to do it the right way. If you open the system up you MUST replace the accumulator (these are pretty cheap and easy to replace anyway though, $30 or so). Orifice tube isn't required but you probably have some debris on your old one and these are also easy to replace and really cheap ($3). It's located in the A/C line running from your accumulator into your firewall. You also HAVE to vacuum out the system with a pump to get the water and moisture out. However, its probably more convienent to fill the system with a mixed oil-refrigerant aerosol instead of messing with the liquid oil - and while this isn't as good because they usually have leak sealers and "performance boosters", it probably won't cause the world to end, either.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Masospaghetti
just adding oil is risky because you don't have any idea how much oil is already there. Too much oil is obviously bad for the system, so you're taking a risk if you do this, although if you only add a couple of ounces the risk is pretty minimal.

The right way to do it is to evacuate the system, flush it, replace the orifice tube and accumulator, and recharge with a known amount of refrigerant and oil. Avoid products with leak sealers and additives if you can help it, get the plain R-134a cans and the plain PAG oils. It's best to prefill the compressor with liquid oil before sealing the system up.

THat being said, it's not always practical to do it the right way. If you open the system up you MUST replace the accumulator (these are pretty cheap and easy to replace anyway though, $30 or so). Orifice tube isn't required but you probably have some debris on your old one and these are also easy to replace and really cheap ($3). It's located in the A/C line running from your accumulator into your firewall. You also HAVE to vacuum out the system with a pump to get the water and moisture out. However, its probably more convienent to fill the system with a mixed oil-refrigerant aerosol instead of messing with the liquid oil - and while this isn't as good because they usually have leak sealers and "performance boosters", it probably won't cause the world to end, either.

I was told by a mechanic that adding oil would do more harm than good, he said not to do anything and let it pretty much brake, then replace the compressor. wow ?? I like your solution better, really appreciate the time for responding.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A car's engine will get noisey when low on oil because the oil does more then just lubricate. It works as hydraulic bearing and hydraulic fluid in the lifter. A AC compressor just uses oil as a lubricant. In 6 years of working on Auto AC systems I never saw a compressor that got quiet due to a increase or change of oil. If the compressor is making noise the damage is already done adding lubricant to damaged parts will not fix them. Your mechanic is correct.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-21-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Droid

As Gorn said, the damage has been done, it will continue to work for some time, but eventually it will seize. Either way you will need a rebuilt unit.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, if the damage is already done then I'll wait until I can change the compressor. Does anyone has a recommendation on reliable brands?