93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Blown Head Gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah that's what the mechanic told me. And the WAS white smoke and I could smell antifreeze in the exhaust but after putting the Bar's Leak in the coolant, it's been driving great. and the antifreeze is staying full. No drips anywhere. Car is driving great. We'll see how long this Bar's Leak will last me.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by osduck5
The head gasket could cause a misfire if it is getting coolant in the cylinder. Personally, I would not have put that leak gasket stuff in there unless it is just to get by for couple days. Google some pictures of what some of those stop leaks can do to the water passages in the motor. I would still take it by and have a pressure test done on the rad to determine if there are is a leaky head gasket.
I have seen it first hand. It will clog up the small ports in these motor and create hot spot. I have seen it cause head gasket failure. Since he is planning on replacing the motor I guess it does not matter. It would help a lot to keep the drive times under 20 minutes then about 2 hour cool down.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That's what I've been doing for almost a week now. It took about 3 days for the Bar's Leak to have an effect on anything. I only let it get up to 190 degrees in about 15 minutes then shut it down for 2 hours or more to let it cool off. I did that repeatedly and it sealed the leaks and the car is running great now. So we'll see how it does and how long it lasts.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

i would have tried blue devil over that bars leak....

Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 PM
2nd Gear member

If there's antifreeze coming out the exhaust, but the oil level is the same and not milky it's your intake gasket, not your head gasket.
I'm actually in the middle of replacing my water prump and redoing the gasket on the timing cover on my 3.4. I had coolant leaking as well exactly where yours was. The dufus who had the car before me used so much stop-leak crap that the rad cap was full of it and the lines were plugged up! I did a coolant flush a few weeks ago and I guess I flushed out the stop-leak so the leak started. I'm replacing the water pump too at the same time. It's a big job, but it's worth it in the long run. Behind my water pump it was really bad, and the gasket was almost completely gone! After I back-flushed the coolant lines and heater core lines I had good flow. I also flushed out the block with the hose and got rid of the brown coolant. the system is clean!

Unless you're changing your engine within a month, you'll need to get into what I'm doing. Stop-leak will end up giving you more problems. You'll still need to flush the lines and the rad unless you're changing that too.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:35 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes I know. My dad had to use Bar's Leak in his car a couple years ago at 170xxx and now he's at 220xxx with no further issues... So idk

Old 07-17-2010, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Here's what a 3.4 with a blown head gasket looks like. It smells real bad, too.

Attached Thumbnails Blown Head Gasket???-p8120054.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 03:32 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah mine never did that... Update on the situation: I'm having the timing cover gasket, timing chain, sprockets, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, and plug wires all replaced in the car next week along with a full coolant flush.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mrfreez
If there's antifreeze coming out the exhaust, but the oil level is the same and not milky it's your intake gasket, not your head gasket.
Could be the head gasket or the intake gasket, both could cause these symptoms; the difference is that intake will be all vacuum and the rad fluid will have low pressure, whereas head gasket has positive pressure, too, and you'll see a rapid pressure rise in the radiator, and bubbles if you watch it with the cap off.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
Yeah mine never did that... Update on the situation: I'm having the timing cover gasket, timing chain, sprockets, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, and plug wires all replaced in the car next week along with a full coolant flush.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have either a blown head gasket (unlikely from the information you've been giving but you never know), or an intake manifold gasket leak, wont doing this solve neither of those problems and just waste your money? Plus if you are flushing the coolant wont that flush that stop leak crap right out along with it putting you back at square one?

Last edited by DavidJ1907; 07-18-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket???