93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Blown Head Gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Blown Head Gasket???

So a week or so ago my car started leaking antifreeze. No big deal.. Just a couple drops here and there. I go out to my car the next day and there's a huge puddle under my car. Great. I check the antifreeze in the radiator, FULL! This is odd. Start the car. It's pouring out under neath it. I take it to the shop on a trailer. They say I have a blown timing cover gasket. Ok $400 not bad. So I have to drive it home leaking antifreeze because the guy with the trailer left. It gets up to like 250 degrees in less than a mile(house is a 1.5 mile drive). I get home and the antifreeze in the radiator is still full. Mechanic thinks i have a air lock in the block. So I start it with out the cap OFF and sure enough, the antifreeze drops rapidly and bubbles come up out of the radiator. Ok planned on taking it to the shop to have it fixed this week. I get in it today to move it to my other driveway and it's misfiring. Badly. (Also still leaking antifreeze of course)... However the oil isn't milky, it's not smoking, exhaust is fine. everything is fine except it's missing. I put Bar's Leak Gasket Fix in the radiator and it's just about sealed the antifreeze leak. It stopped misfiring for a day too. Now it's doing that again. So my question to you all is: Do I have a blown head gasket or is there something else wrong? Maybe a plug got burnt up when it got hot? Input is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Was the coolant dumping straight down, or was it spraying all over under the hood where it could have gotten some wires wet (spark plug, ignition, etc.)?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It was dumping under the water pump. There's a slight chance it could have gotten a plug wet. I mean there was antifreeze all over everything under the hood before it started pouring out the bottom... After i wiped everything down it hasnt gotten any there again. Just pours out the bottom now...

Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

To be exact there was stuff all over the power steering pressure hose. And on the AC condenser next to the radiator cap

Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Intake manifold gaskets maybe? When mine leaked it caused my car to have misfire issues as well. Do you have an SES light on?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There were no lights on. I have a temporary (maybe partially permanent) fix tho. I put Bar's Leak Gasket Fix in the antifreeze and it sealed all the leaks and the car is running great now. We'll see how long it'll last. Thanks guys!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 PM
4th Gear Member

The head gasket could cause a misfire if it is getting coolant in the cylinder. Personally, I would not have put that leak gasket stuff in there unless it is just to get by for couple days. Google some pictures of what some of those stop leaks can do to the water passages in the motor. I would still take it by and have a pressure test done on the rad to determine if there are is a leaky head gasket.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Honestly right now I'm only trying to get it to drive long enough for me to save for a newer motor and trans... That will solve all my issues lol

Old 07-16-2010, 08:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

You'll likely see a lot of white smoke in the exhaust if the headgasket is leaking into one of the cylinders. What you won't see is any antifreeze drips, because it's all contained inside the block and evaporating- you'd see your antifreeze simply disappearing from the radiator. So, you may have multiple leaks, but the symptoms you're describing don't sound like a coolant-cylinder HG leak.

Last edited by grover; 07-16-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket???