93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Black Wire in front of shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Black Wire in front of shifter

Ok so i figured out where my short was in my 1994 camaro..... some jackass spliced a wire for the radio into a wire in the master harness.... this wire had about 6 inches worth of bare wire on it and lit up a napkin that was stuffed behind the glove compartment and well you guessed it it caught on fire, lol, now the problem is this..... the wire that fried out was a roughly 1./4 inch black wire that snaked in from under the carpeting behind the little cd/tape holer tray in front of the shifter console. Does anyone know what this wire is by any chance??? i think its aftermarket since i dont think that GM would snake a wire through a hole in the carpet. Thanks

Old 08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Black Wire in front of shifter

it must be a ground for something? usually ground wires are black but who knows if the person snaked it up through the carpet (retard) it could be hot so test it for power and trace it back to the source

Old 08-05-2007, 01:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah i dunno either lol it hinkt he "Retard" lol snaked it in there somehow , Thing is the cars at the shop AGAIN!!!! WTF! lol i replaced the abttery, altenator, belt and that little plug on top of the radiator b/c the old alt took a **** and burnt itself to bits lol along with that plug, and now, i try to elave work the other day, ALL NEW PARTS and i step on the brake to leave P and go to R and the thing shuts off on me, any ideas???? as to what that may be?

Old 08-05-2007, 03:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

I had a 97 GMC Jimmy with that same problem. It ended up being the ignition modual on the column.