93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Armor-coated Headers: Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Armor-coated Headers: Worth It?

I'm pricing out parts for my car, and deciding what goals to set for the summer. I'm looking at headers, and wondering if I should bother to get the coated ones? I'm considering Pacesetter mid-length right now.

Any other brands that I should look at instead? I didn't realize how little headers themselves are until I looked at them. Does anyone know if these will connect without fabrication? I've driven a car to the exhaust shop once already b/c the system needed fabrication. Not incredibly anxious to do that again.

I am looking at these for a 3800. There, I said it. Now someone with a V8 can come and tell me to sell my car and buy a V8 instead. [sighs]

Last edited by TheArtfulLodger; 04-19-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear member

I bought the armor coated pacesetters. I haven't had a chance to install them yet but from everything I have read the coated ones are the best. I'm told the painted ones rust out pretty fast. I don't think there is much options for the 3800 in terms of headers. I bought mine from summit. They were the cheapest that I could find

Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM
4th Gear Member

You should go buy a V8 (joking). 3.8 is a good motor.

Any ways, I have non coated headers with BBQ paint on them and the only spots that are rusting are where I couldn't get the paint. I drive 80 miles home every other weekend, so you know my headers are getting pretty hot. I'd go for coated if you can afford it. If you can't, then non coated will do the trick too. As far as fabrication, they should just bolt right up to the stock exhaust iirc.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Stainless Steel FTW,,,, I jus Say'n

Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Stainless Steel FTW,,,, I jus Say'n
I can only turn up painted and armor-coated for Pacesetters. Anywhere I should be looking?

I found them on lmpperformance.com for about $360. That was with the coating.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Always get ceramic coating. The pacesetter ceramic coating is nice for what it is; it aint no jet hot coating but it will suffice. Don't even bother with painted headers, after a bit of heat and time that paint will look like garbage (especially if you drive through winter).

Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Always get ceramic coating. The pacesetter ceramic coating is nice for what it is; it aint no jet hot coating but it will suffice. Don't even bother with painted headers, after a bit of heat and time that paint will look like garbage (especially if you drive through winter).
I agree with the ceramic coating. But disagree on your thoughts of painted. Sure they're not as good, but if done right, they'll last through winter. Mine took on the bit of PA winter we had with no problems.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

You painted your's yourself, factory paintjobs on headers never last and always look like garbage.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-02-CHEVY-...item5ae62bed84

I had mine 2.5 years They tuned a goldish color after the first few weeks. The only issue I had what the suppied bolts were no where near long enough to be used as intended. I trip to the hardware store and $9 later I was good. I also used the EGR connection for the 02 motor The 96 EGR tube was going to take a lot of persuaving to work. At the time I bought them they where $80 more then the painted pacesetters. I am cheap but IMO it was $80 well spent.

Name:  Mockup1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  97.2 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 04-19-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Gorn, those headers are bookmarked in my "things to buy" folder.

It seemed like I should go for the ceramic coating if I was getting any coating. Good to
know I didn't just plan on wasting my money.

Thanks for the input guys!

Quick Reply: Armor-coated Headers: Worth It?