93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

97 RS w/ auto tranny maintenence advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Default 97 RS w/ auto tranny maintenence advice

I'm looking for a bit of Camaro advice and found this forum via a google search. It was one of few that are still active. Anyhow...I have a 1997 Camaro RS 3.8L with an Automatic Transmission. 'bout 93k mi on it (I got it with 73k about 7 years ago) that I'm trying to sell (I could sell it now if I took $3,700 for it---but that seems ridiculously low seeing as how the car is in -great- shape. But I digress...).

I'm doing some basic maintenence stuff on the car; coolant system flush, trans drain and refill, and a differential drain and refill. I've NEVER done this stuff before on any kind of car (my dad, who's since moved to another state, has always done the maintenence on the vehicles) and the guys at the auto stores weren't very knowledgeable about the Camaros (Mustangs and 4x4s are more common in Colorado). I've got the Haynes repair manual which has helped me out as far as knowing how I should do the above maintenence, but there's some stuff it just doesn't answer.

I want to buy an auto trans filter kit at advanced auto parts because it has the stuff I need and it's like $9. However, there's different shapes to the filters and different sizes...and seeing as how I've never looked inside of my transmission (and won't be able to until I actually go to do the drain/refill--and I can't open it up then go get the filter because the Camaro is my only means of transportation) I have no clue which one to purchase. My Haynes repair manual doesn't say or show. The search I did on the parts' website gave me several results that 'should' fit, but when I went to go purchase one the guys didn't know which size pan was appropriate or anything like that...and I didn't either.

This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...58&PTSet=A

Would that work for my car? Is there some spot I'm missing in the repair manual that says? Will my original owner's manual say? I looked in there too but I couldn't find any mention of the type of filter or anything.

My next question is about the differential drain and refill I'll be doing (I need to stress that the entire rear axle of my Camaro is not it's original--the pinion failed on the original and my father and I swapped out the entire rear axle a couple of years ago). What replacement fluid do I need? All the books just mention to replace the fluid, but don't specify what to replace it with. The guy at the auto parts store told me 80w-90 gear oil. Is that what I need? What about the gasket? Would doing the pump method be better for me (since I'm a newbie to this stuff)? Where would I even find a pump to do something like that? Would siphoning work too? How much fluid should I purchase--1qt?

Any and all advice is very much appreciated.