93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

'95 Camaro Starts only when wants

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Unhappy '95 Camaro Starts only when wants

Have a '95 camaro v-6, 3.5. Has always been a good car up until lately. Now abruptly it is one thing right after another.

Had a problem back a couple months ago with the car not starting. Replaced the battery, replaced the starter, then replaced the ignition module and rekeyed it. Seemed to take care of the problem.

Now it's back. The only diff. is the security light on the dashboard is flashing part of the time, and sometimes stays on. Sometimes it starts first try, sometimes it's third or fourth, and sometimes like today not at all. Gave up and got a ride to work.

There was some suggestion perhaps it might be the aftermarket alarm system gone bad, after all was 15 years old, so had that removed yesterday. Car was fine driving home. Problem is back this morning.

Could really use some help, running out of ideas here

Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear member

first thing you should do is locate a store near you with the correct scanner and have it scanned for stored codes.and what do you mean ..."had it rekeyed"?could be as simple as the resistor in your key

Old 03-24-2010, 03:22 PM

When replaced ignition module, had a choice of having dealer reprogram due to computer chip in key, or having new key (with chip)made. Had new key done. That's been probably 2-3 months ago. How likely is a problem with the resister in the key like that?

Have a few hesitations about having codes done at the dealership - aside from being darn expensive every time they touch the car, last time it was in they made this big issue over having the airbag "fixed" and what all it would entail. Yes, the airbag light is on. The airbag light has been on for roughly the past twelve years - we pulled the fuse to disable it since I had small kids in the front seat at the time. Somehow, in the list things necessary to "fix" never included replacing the fuse. Kinda makes you doubt their abilities if you know what I mean.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Places like AutoZone can scan the codes and they do it for free. You might have a key cylinder going bad in your steering column but like dc14 said, get the codes scanned or you are just throwing money at it in hopes that it will find the problem. Mine drove me nuts and it turned out to be a bad key. 4 out of 5 times, it would not start the car, usually at a gas pump.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 PM
2nd Gear member

yes dealerships charge and can be expensive.try some of your local auto parts stores.some might not have the appropriate scanner but let your fingers do the walking/dialing.and parts stores wont give you flack about the airbag.if you end up needing a new key check with local locksmiths(household type).i've had keys made there with resistor for pennies on what the dealer wanted.