93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

95 Camaro Heat troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Default 95 Camaro Heat troubles

I have a 1995 Chevy Camaro automatic 4.0 V6 with 46,000 miles. It is in excellent condition and is well maintained. The car has decided that when I drive to work now that it is cold... there will be no heat, usually after it sits all night. In the morning the car will sit and heat up just fine and melt the ice/frost off the windshield. I always preheat my car before I leaveā€¦ usually anywhere from 5 - 8 minutes. When I start driving within two miles the temperature gauge will climb all the way up into the red and the check gauge light will come on and my heat disappears. Once in a blue moon, it will come back down to normal and I will have heat again. Usually once the temperature starts the upward climb, I drive the rest of the way to work without heat. I have taken it in and had the thermostat changed twice, new radiator cap, temperature gauge sender changed, system flushed, pressure checked for leaks, and last but not least the water pump changed. When the car is acting up, it puts out no codes. The mechanic assures me that my car is not overheating when it is in the red and that it is still safe to drive. He said the core temp of the engine is correct even though my temp gauge is reading high. My husband discovered that when it is in the red with no heat that the hoses on both sides of the heater core are lukewarm. Then for no apparent reason on the way home from work, it works just fine and I have heat. It has worked some times on the way to work and not on the way home. It works whenever it feels like it and now it is starting to snow and I desperately need heat all the time. Do you have any answers to why?? Or what the problem may be?? I would greatly appreciate it!

[/align]

Old 01-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: 95 Camaro Heat troubles

Probably have air in system or a gunked up cooling system. Flush system out, or better yet get it power flushed and refill with fresh coolant & make sure that all the air is purged out. Also flush out the heater core. One of the heater hoses may have aflow restrictorat the engine end. You can clean, replace, or plain get rid of that restrictor. The 95s came with DexCool antifreeze, the stuff is OK, but if mixexd with regular antfreeze it will eventuarly create sludge that messes up the cooling system.
By the way, your car is not an LT1 and there are no 4.0 V6 Camaros, you car should have a 3.4 V6. Moved your post to the V6 section where it belongs.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:31 PM

Sorry about the post in the wrong spot. I thought that was what my husband said it was. All I know is how much money I have spent at the mechanics and still don't have heat. I know for a fact that he did flush out the entire system and he said a little junk came out. Perhaps I need to take it back and have it done again. I asked himabout air in the system and he said no... it was all out... he purged the system. Also, just curious, if it was a heater hose blockage, wouldn't my car really be over heating instead of just looking like it was? Everyone says it is a continuous flow system, so if there was a blockage, it should overheat or perhaps I just don't understand what continuous flow means. Thanks again for your time!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Droid

The heater is continuos flow, but it is a separate circuit from the radiator, so the heater can get clogged but the radiator will not be affected. When the engine overheats check that the radiator fan isrunning, ifit isnot then you need to fix the fan problem. Could be a bad temp sensor, bad fan relays, or just a bad fan. If the fan/s are runiing,and the engine overheats suddntly, there may be a possibility of a blown head gasket. It may be worth while to have the coolant tested for the presence of combustion gases.