93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.8l random misfire/rough idle issue 98 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 AM

Those guys are cheaper by about 8 bucks than what i can get them for locally but i have to buy the whole set. the 350 something was the set they had in stock but they ordered one of the other for me bc they couldnt ship it i had to pay for it first so Ill get one and just start testing starting up front and working my way around. Thanks for the link may use them in the future for a set purchase.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by camarofanboy88
Hi I have searched and seen many people with this issue and every case seems to be a bit different and so far ive had no luck getting my car back running the way it was meant to and I hate driving my 4 door family car everyday so any help would be greatly appreciated.

First things first what it is doing, first a misfire on #3 and #6 so replace coil pack, CEL goes away, few months later im getting a random misfire CEL code and have no clue what to do next, idle is sitting at 1k rpms even on a cold start no fluctuating really sitting steady, was dropping a little before i replaced the weak battery. Car is sluggish from a stop and any time you accelerate and car is just running rough with a minor shake in engine.

What I have done so far not in order but, oil and filter change, air filter, fuel filter, plugs and wires, all 3 coil packs now, pcv valve and gasket, small elbow in vacuum line was cracked so I replaced it. Ive ran injector cleaner, 93 octane all the time, replaced battery, sprayed carb cleaner all over manifold looking for leaks and found none, even used baby powder as well to do this (not at the same time lol). I have not checked for burnt valves but seems to run too well to be a valve just yet, the next guess i have is to clean the injector tips by soaking them in trans fluid and ohms test the electronics on them and replace the seals while im at it. After that I will try a new crank position sensor as well unless someone has another idea or anything you can do to help. I just want the t-tops down on my car again and running on all 6 cylinders.

what was wrong with it? Did you ever find out

Thank you
kim

Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a FYI, Random miss fire is one of those problems that knowing what cause it in one car will not help you much. Random misfire means the computer sees a lack of power from a single stroke. It can be caused by anything: Intake restriction, exhaust restriction, compression leaking, spark, spark timing or weak spark, lack of fuel, too much fuel, So pretty much anything that can cause that. Even a clown head gasket or leaking intake car cause enough cooling in the cylinder to short out the plug once in a while.

Even on my own car I had a random misfire that never seem to have any symptoms, the car always ran fine. I found the issue by accident when I bumps the MAF sensor wire. New wire end and the problem went away.