93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.8 gtp motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok i understand the concept of everything i just dont understand why its such a problem. the intercooler is basically the intake manifold with coolant running thru it. which the gtp comes stock with. its still thin and its not raised up at all. i did do research and all that i can see is that performance intercoolers do raise the supercharger up alot but as i can see from alldata the intake manifold is the intercooler. and i can make a intake for the car so thats not a problem

Old 09-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by cschues80
ok i understand the concept of everything i just dont understand why its such a problem. the intercooler is basically the intake manifold with coolant running thru it. which the gtp comes stock with. its still thin and its not raised up at all. i did do research and all that i can see is that performance intercoolers do raise the supercharger up alot but as i can see from alldata the intake manifold is the intercooler. and i can make a intake for the car so thats not a problem
Do more research; Coolant can only take the air temp to your thermostat level at best. When you run your car harder and harder it will get hotter and your coolant will be less effective. The goal of an intercooler is to get the pressurized air back to ambient temps. It also does not change the fact nothing is going to fit. You can make it fit if you have a fabication shop handy but its is a lot of work and a lot of money for 40 HP. You could port and polish the heads and intake add a cam and valve spings put a tune on it and get 60-80 HP. Less work, money and a LOT less trouble. This is why in the end no one does it. Cause it is dumb mod.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

but thats what i dont get. why cant people do it if the intercooler is the intake manifold? i understand putting a performance intercooler on and not being able to fit it but the GTP comes stock with an intercooler. I looked on all data and the intake manifold has coolant lines running thru it.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe i should back up a little. Supercharger part of the intake fits but the super charger draws air from the back of the super charger. Some how you have to get a TB and the intake to the back of the motor under the cowl. Go look at your car. Look at where the "Back of the motor" is. If you search thru these forums there is a link of one guy who made the intake in his garage and one from and professional garage that did the upgrade. They are the only two place I know of that have done the mod.

Most of the guys that mod their FWD Super charge 3800 add an aftermarket intercooler as one of the first mods. With out that you can not add much boost because of the compression of the engine. That is why I said you need to add a intercooler. It is concidered by many as the first step in modding the L67.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Intercooler aside, do you realise that you are only going to have about 3" from the rear of the supercharger to the firewall? In that small space you need to make a U-tube that bolts to the face of the SC intake port and come around the engine to mate up to the throttle body and MAF. If you have the TBW setup that is going to be a challenge due to the size of the unit. I am not sure that you are going to be even able to maintain the TBW, you may have to use a different TB. I came across an article where GM built a SC firebird using the L67 but an LT1 TB. They deemed the combo unpractical mainly due to the small gain in HP compaired to the expence of installing that engine.

I agree with you that it would be cool to have a SC'd V6 and I would love to do the mod myself. I do have access to a machinist that can pull off the fabrication work but the time and $$$ involved is not in my cards right now. Nitrous? Yea that can be budgeted for.

Massey

Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i was planning on keeping the 8 or so pounds that the SC puts out stock. so basically the TB is the problem? what if i made and intake and put the TB inline with that but some where that it fits? either that or would it be smart to just swap the supercharger with my intake so im just using the block until i can rebuild the original engine? and since their both series 2 would i have the same engine mount bolt holes? i heard that sometimes GM makes diff motors for FWD and RWD

Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Series II engine blocks and heads are the same FWD or RWD. Series I engines are different FWD and RWD. The older 231 engine came in odd fire, even fire and FWD. There are no odd fire FWD engines. The 1986 FWD engine shares heads with the older engines, 1987 block is the same as the 86 and older but the heads are different. 1988 to 94 (Series I) the engine is pretty much the same with the exception of FWD and RWD. 1995 (mid year) brings the Series II engine which uses the 60º V6 bell housing mount (the difference from FWD and RWD) and is the same engine up to the 05 Series II. Some time around 03 ish there was a Series III engine that ran till 09 and it is compatable but needs mods.

Now for putting your intake on the L67, it will fit and it will work but you will not have the same HP as a L36. Due to being supercharged the L67 has lower compression, and a cam profile that is designed to be used with the forced induction. Your car would be a dog with the L36 intake on the L67 block.

I hope this helps you understand the 3800 better.

Massey

Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ya i get that and understand it. i talked to some guys at the shop i work at and they said that we can see what we can come up with. so ill test it out and be stubborn about it lol. then tell you how it goes. but if i wanted to keep my 3.8 and push boost through it then would a turbo be more practical?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Overdrive Member

more practical yes but you will need to get a cam that has a turbo profile to it. a SC cam maximises the air in while a turbo cam maximises the exhaust velosity to spin the impeller better. the pistons and everything else on the L67 should be good for a turbo.

Massey