93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.8 gtp motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 3.8 gtp motor questions

i have a 97 camaro rs. i recently found a 98 gtp motor (supercharged 3.8) and i was wondering if anyone has put one of those engines into their camaro before and what did you need for the swap? im keeping the supercharger on it so i know i need to either tuned the computer or get a comp that was in a gtp. so would that computer fit in the camaro without any mods or will i have to cut wires and all that? are their any sensors that i need? do i have to get a new exhaust becuase of the back pressure? and will it bolt right on to the tranny? any other hints or tips will be helpful. thanks

Old 09-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do a search its been cover 3782 times. One of the big problems is look at where you thottle body is on your GTP now imagine that motor in your camaro. That would put that thorttle body about where your radio is.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well i think its the same engine just supercharged and turned sideways for the gtp's fwd

Old 09-01-2010, 07:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

and i see what you mean about the intake/TB

Old 09-01-2010, 09:30 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It close to the same engine. It is the L67. This swap has been done. THe intake will bolt right up. Its just so much work its not worth the 40-60 HP you get. The supercharger without an intercooler is not going to do that much for you.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well im only doing this because i wanted the supercharger for the engine im building anyways and i was going to use a regular 3.8 to just drive the car around with but i found that engine and figured id get it because it was cheap and it would put me ahead. and can i just use the intercooler for the gtp? or would something like this work? http://www.andysautosport.com/chevro...ers/mishimoto/

Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

and do i need a wastegate or blowoff valve for it? i dont think so but i could be wrong

Old 09-02-2010, 02:20 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You still don't get it? It will not fit. Do you have a machine shop so you can custom make an intake? The GTP intercooler will make the super charger to tall to fit under your cowl. You will need to modify the frame and drop the engine. Just search L67. We have had dozens of posters who bought this super charger only to never install it. We have even have guys that figured out ways around the big problems only to give up because of all the small problems. You can make you 3.8 just as powerful as the super charger for 1/2 the price and 1/10 the headaches with just normal bolt ons.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so whats the difference with the l67? it looks the same and the intake is still going to sit in the back towards the firewall. and i have a welder and can more than likely make a custom intake for it. and where does/will the intercooler sit on the GTP

Old 09-03-2010, 05:56 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You really need to do a lot of research. To try to do a custom install of a super charger and not understand where the intercooler needs to sit is like saying "I am going to make my own custom grind cam what does a cam do again?" You really need to understand how to control the pressure, how the intercooler works and why your car really needs one. Once you have the basics down then just do a search here. The subject of how to make it fit has been talked about several times in very long detail. Like I said before no one has done it from this site yet because of the work.

This topic comes up almost weekly. There are two types of people the people that do not know whats is involved that want to do it. And there are the people that know what needs done and know it aint worth it. If you do the research you will become the second type of person. There are a few guys that want to do it to be different and do it for braging right. They are normally the first guys that will tell you it aint worth it.

Don't believe me just do a google of M90 super charger and Camaro. You will find dozens of posts from other website asking the same question. How do I know, I wanted to do it myself 3 years ago. I understand how a super charger works and I have full access to a large CNC machine shop and the know how to design and make just about anything. For me its not worth the work.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-03-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.8 gtp motor questions