3.8 Cold air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Masospaghetti
Personally I would avoid this, because:

1) It's almost certainly made in China, and I like to put American parts in my American car
LOL you think all the parts on your car are made in America? You would be surpised at how many of the parts they say made in America should say finished in America. Parts can and do come form overseas 70% made and they can be classifed raw material. Please note No car maker can say made in USA. Assembled in the USA yes. My car will be assembled in the USA just like yours. You want a All USA ride you better get a M1 tank.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
LOL you think all the parts on your car are made in America? You would be surpised at how many of the parts they say made in America should say finished in America. Parts can and do come form overseas 70% made and they can be classifed raw material. Please note No car maker can say made in USA. Assembled in the USA yes. My car will be assembled in the USA just like yours. You want a All USA ride you better get a M1 tank.
Don't know about you, but my '96 was "Finished in Canada".

As for the OP, the one thing I don't know is how those elbows fit around the ABS box. One thing I'm dying to try is the OTR (post-'98 style) setup - though I'll have to get my saw out to do it.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

jeebus..posts exploded after work was over lol..and yea i saw the different throttle body after i posted the comment..and i looked around for some cheaper ones for the 98+ but its turning out to be a bit a difficult task lol..i just want something to help w/ power and mileage a little bit on the cheap..i'm payin for school the car and utilities..and most expensively i have a girlfriend lol so money is tight..

Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Overdrive Member

gorn, you beat me to it... i don't think everyone realizes just how "foreign" their american cars are

Old 08-22-2009, 05:20 PM

hey i have this kit, well its the stage II kit + K&N filter got from ebay from chromintakes it was $108 heres a link to my pics
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=278253
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=278254
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=278255

Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn

Look, i'm fully aware that a lot of stuff is no longer made here...however...K&N and AEM equipment IS made here and even if some of the manufacturing is done overseas and its brought here as "raw material", at least I'm supporting the R&D going into these products.

And while a lot of parts only come from China now, I always go out of my way to find parts "made" here by an American company (getting SKF bearings instead of "Proformer" bearings, USA-made NAPA rotors instead of the value branded product, Delphi/Harrison A/C compressors instead of Factory-Aire, US-made new alternator instead of outsourced reman units, etc). Even though it costs more, the average quality of american parts compared to chinese parts is significantly better based on my personal experience.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Funny you Mention a bearing company. I was a manufacturing engineer for a bearing company. There are almost no mass produced bearing made in the US anymore. The production line I worked on could make 5000 bearing a day and it still was not enough. I can still go buy those bearings they still say Made in USA but I know where the 2.5 million dollar line is still sitting collecting dust. It was not moved to a another spot. It is made overseas and Boxed here. How they get away with calling it Made in the USA is beyond me. As a manufacturing Engineer 4 of the plants I have worked at have shut down.

The only bearing that are made here in the US are the hard to make lower volume bearing like a big Paper mill bearing or a mast guide for a fork lift. Also Planes and medical grade bearing. Of course military is all US made.

The average person really has no clue what we have done to our manufacturing base. Find a bolt made in the USA. From overseas they are 1/10th of a cent over the cost of the raw materail. We used to get 3X the raw materail costs. With all our regulation and the cost of labor I can not even turn on the machine for what they make the parts for.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Member

^ I actually had to buy two SKF wheel hubs also, one said "made in the USA" and the other was made in Korea. Maybe they mean "assembled in the USA"? Or possibly the one made in the USA was a really old part that had been sitting for awhile?