93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4L V6 Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:52 AM
Overdrive Member
Thumbs down

It's like someone else I know saying that the System Too Lean Bank 1 & 2 is an O2 Sensor just because it's a lean code and the O2 detects it the lean condition. Yea, that common theme Listen to the guys with "EXPERIENCE". :-P

Also, he mentioned past codes, but not current codes. If he has a 3X code along with the 24X currently, that too me seems unlikely that both sensors would die. I never said nor implied he has a DTC 17, just pointed out that your "EXPERIENCE" was wrong that the Cam Sensor can throw a code.

A code does not necessarily give you a direct hit to what the problem/resolution is. EXPERIENCE would tell you that.

Originally Posted by evilkal
Ok and the way it's set up, it won't throw a code at all if it's the camshaft sensor. K? Electrical diagram or not. I don't give a ****. It won't throw a code for the crank sensor because the sensor itself is relayed STRAIGHT to the PCM. Thus if the cam sensor goes bad, it's not gonna throw a code for the crank. You know what a DTC17 will throw? A CIRCUIT FAULT DTC 17 ALRIGHT YES!!! Excellent! He doesn't have that code!

Diagnose the problem at hand that the computer is having a problem with... AKA your crank sensor.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If I may, there is no reason to argue. I have come to a conclusion that trying to talk someone through a repair in drivability or intermittent electrical problems is a waste of time and very frustrating. Most of the threads I have tried to do this on ended up with the car being fixed by either a mechanic or a friend. As a mechanic we laugh at guys that “throw parts at a car”. It is hit and miss. If you can not test a crank sensor you have no business installing one. What if the new part is defective? Or installed wrong? You will move on to the next thing. How many parts will you go thru before you try the crank sensor again?

I can not even count how many times I have heard something like “I took it to a mechanic its fixed”. What fixed it? “Plugs, wires and O2 sensors”. But you said Plugs, Wires and O2 sensors where new and the car ran fine. Yea the PO said he replaced all that but now the car runs GREAT! What a waste of three pages of typing.

I realize that people can not always afford to take their car to a mechanic. If they have a specific question on how to test a circuit I will be glad to help or in the case of miss information like “Crank sensors are simple they don’t go bad” I will chime in but fighting over which part to throw at it is a waste of time. As Kal said he should follow along with the manual chart for the code(s) present. Sometimes in the explanation of the code it will tell you if code XXX exists repair that first. For an experience mechanic the manual is a reference guide to a DIY guy it should be a bible. You can end up chasing your tail. I use GM shop manuals but for newer guys the Haynes manual do not assume you have all the GM required tools.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-06-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Can't argue with that.

Originally Posted by Gorn
If I may, there is no reason to argue. I am come to a conclusion that trying to talk someone through a repair in drivability or intermittent electrical problems is a waste of time and very frustrating. Most of the threads I have tried to do this on ended up with the car being fixed by either a mechanic or a friend. As a mechanic we laugh at guys that “throw parts at a car”. It is hit and miss. If you can not test a crank sensor you have no business installing one. What if the new part is defective? Or installed wrong? You will move on to the next thing. How many parts will you go thru before you try the crank sensor again?