93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4L V6 Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Default 3.4L V6 Missing?

Hey guys; I appreciate everyone helping me with my head gasket problem I was having before. I got my engine swapped and she's purring like a kitten, now.

However, the car seems like it's missing occasionally (every 5-6 seconds) while idling, and misses every 9-10 seconds while in 4th gear (under 2,000 RPM). When the car heats up, it stops happening as often, but still happens. I did some research and determined this could be a lot of things, but is very commonly the 24X Crankshaft Sensor, that handles 0 - 2,000 RPM. What do you guys think?

Note - I hooked up an OBDI scanner and some of the "past" codes were my 3X and 24X sensors, so this may be it for sure. Does this sound like a problem attributable to the crankshaft sensor? Thanks for your input!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Camshaft Sensor.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 PM
4th Gear Member

I agree with the OP when he says crankshaft sensor.........

Old 12-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Overdrive Member

I had this Code: 36 24X Signal Circuit error (3.4L) "Faulty circuit error from coil packs to module", but replacing that sensor did squat for me. It's a hall effect sensor -- seems pretty unlikely to fail.

Camshaft Sensor seems to be the one I still need.

Originally Posted by evilkal
I agree with the OP when he says crankshaft sensor.........

Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I had this Code: 36 24X Signal Circuit error (3.4L) "Faulty circuit error from coil packs to module", but replacing that sensor did squat for me. It's a hall effect sensor -- seems pretty unlikely to fail.

Camshaft Sensor seems to be the one I still need.

You dont have a real long history with GM? In this case it could be either but the Crankshaft sensor is a very common problem to the point there was a class action law suit against GM back in the early 90's. One of the named issues was faulty Crankshaft sensors. The rate of failure was way out normal realm. Since it just cause a stumble it was not concidered a saftey issue, had it been it would there would have been a recall.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:43 PM

Okay! I think I'll replace the 24X Crankshaft Sensor tomorrow (after all, it's a 35 dollar part, that's no big deal). One more thing - now it's worse than it was in my previous post. It's almost consistently missing now, every 1-2 seconds during idle & 4th gear every 3-4. The missing makes the car shake harder while in 4th gear, is this just because of the speed?

I found the 24X sensor already, is it possible to just fit a socket wrench behind the pulley and replace the sensor without taking the pulley off?

Thanks again, guys.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Overdrive Member

I will wager you are wasting your time with the 24X, based on my experience, and your fix will likely be the Camshaft Sensor, your problems sound just like mine.

I had to take off the pulley, but if you can find a way not to, more power to ya. Don't forget to take your screwdriver out of the flywheel when you're done before you start her up again!

Originally Posted by Zaerath
Okay! I think I'll replace the 24X Crankshaft Sensor tomorrow (after all, it's a 35 dollar part, that's no big deal). One more thing - now it's worse than it was in my previous post. It's almost consistently missing now, every 1-2 seconds during idle & 4th gear every 3-4. The missing makes the car shake harder while in 4th gear, is this just because of the speed?

I found the 24X sensor already, is it possible to just fit a socket wrench behind the pulley and replace the sensor without taking the pulley off?

Thanks again, guys.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM

Just like 'em, eh? It was bad while idling and while in 4th gear? It's also getting worse by the day... (but on the bright side, after running her an hour it lessens by a lot.

I guess it could be either crank or cam, but wouldn't cam throw an OBD code? My crank was throwing the code, that's why I suspected it.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Overdrive Member

My code was what I posted, but it wasn't the 24X. The rough riding is more pronounced at higher RPMs and would best be described as a strong chugging feeling, almost as if a cylinder was missing -- yet no misfire codes. Mine's auto, is yours too?

Originally Posted by Zaerath
Just like 'em, eh? It was bad while idling and while in 4th gear? It's also getting worse by the day... (but on the bright side, after running her an hour it lessens by a lot.

I guess it could be either crank or cam, but wouldn't cam throw an OBD code? My crank was throwing the code, that's why I suspected it.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:23 PM
4th Gear Member

Based on my experience of being a gear head since I was 11 and working on COUNTLESS GM products... I'm going to say it's the CRANKSHAFT SENSOR. These, and all GM products, have always had a problem with crank sensors. As Gorn said, there was even an issue brought up in a lawsuit about them. Start with the crank sensor, or listen to the idiot who asks more questions than half the people here and tries to back everything up with "research" that usually doesn't tell you anything.

Listen to the guys with EXPERIENCE. AKA Gorn.

It could be either one but a camshaft sensor would not throw a code for it...

Quick Reply: 3.4L V6 Missing?