Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear member

*the crowd chants*
fight fight fight fight

Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Nobody move....I gotta go to the kitchen and make a big batch of popcorn for the show.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Bring me a beer?

Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Haha just trying to cover all the bases, guys.

Anyway, I'm replacing the crankshaft sensor today, what's involved in replacing the camshaft sensor? If the crankshaft sensor doesn't fix the issue, I'm going to replace the camshaft sensor just to see.

Also, are we ruling out it being the injectors? I'm unsure if they'd always throw a code; again, just trying to cover all bases.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Exclamation

Haven't tried the crankshaft sensor yet, but I just started my car up and now it's continuously missing one cylinder (it never fires, even after warming up). Occasionally, while idling, it'll still miss one more.

Still think it's the crankshaft sensor?

Also, does the 24X handle up to 2,000 RM or 3,000 RPM? Because if I stay in Park, and press on the accelerator until the car moves above 3K RPM, it no longer misses. I'm lost, haha.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Have you replaced the crankshaft or camshaft sensor yet? From what ive read from this post those are the most reasonable things to replace. Im sure if you buy a manual from auto zone or some place it could also help you out.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Overdrive Member

I also had and electrically failing injector, which upon replacement seemed to fix the issue for a while, but it came back! Now I am betting on the camshaft sensor. I also have an EGR on the fritz. ('95 3.4L)

24X: Improves spark accuracy below 1200 rpm, and influences fuel delivery below 2000 rpm.

Camshaft Sensor: Sends a signal used by the PCM when #1 piston starts it's intake stroke to synchronize Sequential Fuel Injection with intake valve opening. I the signal is not received by the PCM, the PCM will still operate in SFI mode based on the reference signal, however SFI mode timing may not be as accurate since the PCM does not know the exact time the intake valve is opening. A slightly rough idle would result. A loss of this signal or extra cam signals, above 500 rpm, to the PCM will set DTC 17.

Your problem could also be related to secondary ignition wires arcing to a wiring harness, a bad coil pack or bad Ignition Control Module...

Originally Posted by Zaerath
Haven't tried the crankshaft sensor yet, but I just started my car up and now it's continuously missing one cylinder (it never fires, even after warming up). Occasionally, while idling, it'll still miss one more.

Still think it's the crankshaft sensor?

Also, does the 24X handle up to 2,000 RM or 3,000 RPM? Because if I stay in Park, and press on the accelerator until the car moves above 3K RPM, it no longer misses. I'm lost, haha.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 12-05-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added 24X details; Added Camshaft Sensor details; Added other possible solutions
Old 12-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Overdrive Member

What year is your car? Also which are the specific codes you currently have?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Overdrive Member
Talking

Wow, berating someone for helping and asking questions? That's it. You convinced EVERYONE to listen to YOU when you do THAT. :-D

Hey Einstein, note the electrical diagram and how the 24X signal goes to the Camshaft Sensor AND the PCM?

/me tired of self-professed know-it-alls who think they can't learn a thing or two. Even the PhD professors who are smart realize they don't know everything and can learn from their students.

Yes, a Camshaft Sensor CAN throw a code: A loss of this signal or extra cam signals, above 500 rpm, to the PCM will set DTC 17.
Make sure you listen to guys with EXPERIENCE. *ahem* ;-)

Originally Posted by evilkal
Based on my experience of being a gear head since I was 11 and working on COUNTLESS GM products... I'm going to say it's the CRANKSHAFT SENSOR. These, and all GM products, have always had a problem with crank sensors. As Gorn said, there was even an issue brought up in a lawsuit about them. Start with the crank sensor, or listen to the idiot who asks more questions than half the people here and tries to back everything up with "research" that usually doesn't tell you anything.

Listen to the guys with EXPERIENCE. AKA Gorn.

It could be either one but a camshaft sensor would not throw a code for it...

Attached Thumbnails 3.4L V6 Missing?-24x-cam.jpg  

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 12-05-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added camshaft sensor code fallacy debunking!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Ok and the way it's set up, it won't throw a code at all if it's the camshaft sensor. K? Electrical diagram or not. I don't give a ****. It won't throw a code for the crank sensor because the sensor itself is relayed STRAIGHT to the PCM. Thus if the cam sensor goes bad, it's not gonna throw a code for the crank. You know what a DTC17 will throw? A CIRCUIT FAULT DTC 17 ALRIGHT YES!!! Excellent! He doesn't have that code!

Diagnose the problem at hand that the computer is having a problem with... AKA your crank sensor.

Last edited by evilkal; 12-05-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.4L V6 Missing?