L67 into 5spd RS Swap Question/24hrs of LeMons

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:01 AM
Default L67 into 5spd RS Swap Question/24hrs of LeMons

So my brother's and I just finished racing a 4th Gen 96 in the 24hrs of Lemons in Atlanta and had the biggest time! So big in fact, we just decided to drop some money on a Z28 Rear end for better traction/braking/higher axle ratio. Should be a giant help!

We also have a lead on a nice L67 out of a Bonneville (a V8 swap would be boring for such a wacky race). I am sure it was an automatic. Would we have any issues mounting it to our 5 speed transmission, bolt pattern, clutch and flywheel, crankcase, etc, or should it hook right up? We aren't too concerned about the firewall issue since we have no need for daily driver capabilities. We'll just have an intake routed out the firewall out the passenger side window.

Please help!

Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 AM

For those curious, here's a picture of it running in the race!

Old 12-21-2018, 06:20 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, should bolt right up. far as i know its the same block. i have a 06
series 3 from front wheel drive buick in my 00

Last edited by craby; 12-21-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

L32 should be same block as well. dont know what the difference in the super charge is if any. some good info here https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...nt-info-57568/

Old 12-21-2018, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by craby
lol, should bolt right up. far as i know its the same block. i have a 06
series 3 from front wheel drive buick in my 00
I didn't think it would have a problem with the crankcase or bellhousing or anything. Just wanted to ask. My other questions is about the PCM. I've heard of at least one guy who's L67 was giving him issues about the L67 PCM reacting badly to being hooked up to a manual transmission. What do you think?

Old 12-21-2018, 06:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i was wondering about that, know any good tuners,,, or maybe you are,,,, lol. pretty sure you can have auto pcm tuned to work with a manual. i dont think you can do it the other way around.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:18 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The only mechanical issue could be that the crank was not machined for a pilot bushing. I have seen threads were people put FWD engines in a manual car with no issues. If your motor is in good shape why not just do a top end swap? You do know that there is a lot of fabrication work in this project and very little return. Without a inter cooler the super charger will not ad that much HP and there is not room to get anything between the super charger and the intake unless you cut a big hole in the windshield/hood. For road racing a larger CAM and some long tube headers is going to add more high RPM hp then a small super charger.

I used to run enduro races back in the day and based on reputation I would avoid the M90 super charger, it is not as dependable as the base 3800. Failed bearing are very common.

You will need to tune the PCM one way or another. Either a dyno tune on your existing PCM or the PCM from the doner will need to get the Vin changed and the trans stuff turned off.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-projects-109/97-camaro-l67-top-swap-83122/

Last edited by Gorn; 12-21-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
The only mechanical issue could be that the crank was not machined for a pilot bushing. I have seen threads were people put FWD engines in a manual car with no issues. If your motor is in good shape why not just do a top end swap? You do know that there is a lot of fabrication work in this project and very little return. Without a inter cooler the super charger will not ad that much HP and there is not room to get anything between the super charger and the intake unless you cut a big hole in the windshield/hood. For road racing a larger CAM and some long tube headers is going to add more high RPM hp then a small super charger.

I used to run enduro races back in the day and based on reputation I would avoid the M90 super charger, it is not as dependable as the base 3800. Failed bearing are very common.

You will need to tune the PCM one way or another. Either a dyno tune on your existing PCM or the PCM from the doner will need to get the Vin changed and the trans stuff turned off.

This was a very helpful comment! I may have some more questions later. As for the gains not being huge, no, they may not be huge, but wackiness counts in lemons. A guy, for no reason other than he wanted to, mounted a Mercedes diesel midship in the passenger seat of his 1965 mustang and then fabricated an extended firewall around it.

But your advise is well received! Thankfully, if we did go this route if the S/C failed they are only about 200 to replace and we'd have the original 3800 as a spare engine that we'd bring to races anyway. I just wish tunes weren't so pricy. Thoughts?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn

So quick question about the PCM, we've not removed the cat, and the L67 PCM won't like the MT, however, there's a guy who has pretuned PCM's for just this application. He has the EGR function deleted, the boost bypass deleted and the PCM is set up for an MT. Here is the link. So aside from machining a hole into the block for the pilot bearing, this should solve the other PCM problems, right? It's a whole lot cheaper and quicker than trying to do a dyno tune, maybe I won't get the most out of it possible, but I don't really want to anyway, I need something that has longevity and mpg in mind, not max HP. It is an endurance race after all. During our race, we rarely went over 5k rpm anyway, the low to mid torque band when adding this super charger I think would really be helpful to this style of racing. Thoughts?