Hydraulic clutch systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Default Hydraulic clutch systems

To whom it mayy concern,,

hey everyone, i have a 95' camaro V6 3.4 ltr.. and the other day i was driving and i smelt a horrible burning almost like rubber or something... and and at that point my acceleration was un responsive, i would rev into 3.5 almost 4k rpm and nothing... i was told i burnt my clutch out....

but now i replaced my clutchwith new kit, then my clutch never returnd to normal, ( not disengaging properly) Then they, (mechanic) told me i needed a new clutch slave cylinder, did that.. nothing better again. then was told i needed a new clutch master ... did that , still nothin....... all in all i basically installed a new clutch system.. and still not properly working... ..... i completely understand its almost impossible to diagnose this delema from the internet but if anyone can give me some insight or has had an issue with there clutch replacement before. please leave some ideas

Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

First, I have to question the mechanic's abilities if he has to start throwing parts at your car to try and fix it. It does sound like your clutch was definitely smoked, but it now sounds like you have air in the hydraulic system. It needs to be bled, but I'm fairly certain that your setup doesn't have a bleeder at the slave. Try removing the cap from the master cylinder and slowly pump the clutch pedal to bleed out the air. If that doesn't work, it might help to unbolt the slave cylinder and let it hang lower so that gravity will help the air travel uphill as you pump the pedal. Also, when the master cylinder was replaced, was the reservoir and cap replaced too? You could have a bad seal at the reservoir causing a pressure leak. When you pump the clutch, does any fluid or air come out from under the cap?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Default thanks

okay, he did bleed the system for quite some time last night, while keeping it lower, no improvement... and no i did not change the reservoir, nor cap, nor the connecting cables, only new parts.. and for the time we bled the system, he kept the cap open so he could know if bubbles were coming to the top, with the help of sight from another body, so i'm not sure if fluid or air escapes while cap is closed

Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM

the pedal feels like nothing is starting to happen until i'm half way down to the floor..

Last edited by Dr.Greenthumb; 01-06-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: dumb question
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

that would be an adjustment for the master...there should be about an inch of play before the pedal starts to push the cylinder.

Let's get some better diagnosis of this......

Does the clutch that is in the car now, grab and go?

Are you able to shift gears while the car is driving without grinding or any other problems?

Does the transmission with the engine off go into each gear freely?

Are the problems you are dealing with completely related to the clutch pedal itself, and not the operation of the actual clutch?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah there should be an adjustment screw somewhere in the linkage, i like Mechanical Clutches over hydrolic, i learned on it and there is less to go wrong lol, but there should be about an inch of free play like squid said.