How much will a SS rear end hold with upgraded components

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
I have ridden in a lot of BB I use to build race cars. I know the torque feeling you are talking about. I also know it does not come budget friendly, with street tires or to a uni-body car without support. There are stock bottom ends LS1's that can pull the wheels off the ground on launch. To get under 11 seconds in a NA big block with pump gas is gonig to be a non street friendly car. A LS3 427 can be used by your wife to run to the store and get stuck in traffic with the AC on and still hit 11 seconds.

Don't get me worng, Old school bigblock builds can be fun it just the 4th gen body is not a good staring point. The front of the engine comparment narrows very quickly and you can not even see the distributor no less work on it. The engine needs sit a low as possible so that normally means a custom made Kmember, custom made mount and a custom made oil pan just to get the distributor not to stick out of the dash. The cost of all the stuff your going to have to do just to make the BB fit is going to cost as much as the BB itself.

Any other generation Camaro would be fine. I have thought bout building a street BB version myself but I think I would start with a full frame car like a monte or a late 70's malibu. With those cars the cost of installing the BB is close to nothing. You can spend more money on the engine and drive line and almost everything can be fund at swap meets instead of custom made.
If i was starting from scratch then i might go that route but the big block is already built and in a 10.80s street tire chevelle that weighs in at 3600lbs, Yeah its a little wild but totally streetable. If this was a street car i would also agree with you but this is going to be an all out race car, lexan, no dash, hopefully around 2500lbs. As for the K-member, motor mounts, and oil pan, all easily attainable with a little money.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Rickybobbyv8
As for the K-member, motor mounts, and oil pan, all easily attainable with a little money.
Please do a build thread, like I have been on this site since 07 and I have never seen those parts or anyone use them. You could be helping a lot of people out. From what I have seen I could buy a 81 Monte for what the small block Kmemeber and manual rack cost. Hech the header fab alone would be more than a 80 Malibu roller. I have done header from scratch before on race cars but from the pics I have seen that is going to be a nighmare. You can't just cut the inner fender away its the frame

Last edited by Gorn; 02-19-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM

Please do a build thread, like I have been on this site since 07 and I have never seen those parts or anyone use them. You could be helping a lot of people out. From what I have seen I could buy a 81 Monte for what the small block Kmemeber and manual rack cost. Hech the header fab alone would be more than a 80 Malibu roller. I have done header from scratch before on race cars but from the pics I have seen that is going to be a nighmare. You can't just cut the inner fender away its the frame
Yes it is going to be expensive but i don't have any problem spending money on something i love and I've had this car since i was 16 it was my first car, i remember running the streets with it while still in high school. It had a 3.8 got 30mpg and ran low 13s at around 108 at the strip. I will probably start a build thread when i get some extra time, meanwhile here are some pics of bbc's in 4th gens. Carb'd SBC in a 4th gen Camaro????? - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have never seen a distributer in the front like that. I bet there is 30 to 40 hours in making those headers with test fits. I guess going all strip helps you can just cut away the wipers and all.

An all out race car with street tires? Camaros are a little light in the butt compared to Chevelle, You may not hook up like you think. 720 Ft/lbs can do damage. You really should rethink its "just street tire" concept. Having a machine that can rip itself a part can, and most likely will bit you. It cheaper to build a trans and rear that can handle 800 Ft/lbs once then it is to build a trans and rear that can handle 600 Ft/lbs twice.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-19-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's probably a Jesel front mount distributor, it's belt driven off the front of the cam. Summers Bros. also makes a front mount for the distributor, a special timing chain cover/water pump spacer setup where you can drop in a conventional distributor which is driven by the cam.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 AM

I have never seen a distributer in the front like that. I bet there is 30 to 40 hours in making those headers with test fits. I guess going all strip helps you can just cut away the wipers and all.

An all out race car with street tires? Camaros are a little light in the butt compared to Chevelle, You may not hook up like you think. 720 Ft/lbs can do damage. You really should rethink its "just street tire" concept. Having a machine that can rip itself a part can, and most likely will bit you. It cheaper to build a trans and rear that can handle 800 Ft/lbs once then it is to build a trans and rear that can handle 600 Ft/lbs twice.
Yes an all out race car with street tires that i can still hop in and go down the street, and camaro's have a better weight distribution than a chevelle, and a moser 12 bolt with 35 spline axles and a full spool should be able to handle anything i throw at it.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You guys don't even need wipers to get street legal? Both those pictures show the entire cowl box cut away. There is a lot less room in there with the cowl intact. This is a Small block.
Name:  3n23ke3p45Of5P55Sca29ae1de6cb61e91f.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  9.7 KB

Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM

I didn't have wipers on it the past 2 years i drove it so i guess not, there is no inspection process or emissions where i live, as long as the car appears safe then the cops wont hassle you.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Right, it wouldn't pass a safety inspection, but we don't have them either.....phew!
Two words: Rain-X (ok, one word-one letter).

Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Must be nice, my rubber blades can not even have a single crack in them.